How much flow thru a sump? Return pump size

IPWitan

Non-member
I think I screwed this up. I purchased a jebao DSC9000 return pump, which is rated at an adjustable flow rate of 1850 to 2375 GPH. The adjustment isn't as low as I had hoped.

At the lowest setting and with 5 feet of head pressure, I calculated the gph at about 1232 gph. I haven't been able to figure out whether my return can accept that much water and I haven't seen a calculator for it. More than likely my google skills are failing me. I was thinking of adding a t so that I could run a carbon cannister off of it. I will be getting the tubing from HD over the next week as some adapters are required. But if it is obvious this won't work, I can order a smaller pump.

My tank is a standard 75 with an off-center return thru the bottom. I believe the return to the sump is 1 inch, but I could be wrong. The line to the tank is much smaller, probably 1/2 tubing (probably metric at 16 cm).

I think I was fooled because the DSC7000 was $15 more, and thought it smart to get a bigger pump for less.

I am currently using a Mag5 which I don't think moves enough water thru the sump.. I am looking to replace it because it sometimes stops working and doesn't automatically restart on power outage.

DAG

You could always put a ball valve on the return to dial the flow to where you want it.

I found some more data, but am all over the place on amount, ranging from 300 gph to 1100. A 1 inch hole, gravity driven, but with dorso adds all kinds of complexities that I cannot calculate on my own.

I find that numbers tend to be exaggerated but there's no telling unless you physically run it. You can always add an extra outlet from the manifold to have it return to the sump. Otherwise, a valve on the return should work.

Ball valve should work, but depending on the return pump, not all fair well longterm to restrictions like that. The good brands will be fine though.
I ran a quality GATE valve (avoid the cheap HD/Lowe ballvalves) and it worked great for 4 years, then I bought a controllable DC Jecod return for like $60-70 shipped and never looked back.

a jebao DSC9000. Hopefully I can get to the hardware store tomorrow and get the plumbing. I need a value, a union, and parts to make a t (and another value). HOpefully by Friday I can get this up and running...and will try not to flood the house.

I am not sure of the size of the holes for the return hole and the drain hole. I thought it was an inch, but it could be 1 1/4. I dunno and cannot really measure without taking it apart. It is a standard 75 reef ready tank... The tubing for the return is actually fairly small, maybe 1/2 inch tubing, but I suppose that doesn't really matter in determining whether the drain hole is big enough.

I have a 90 gallon tank and I'm using just the DC6000 with the setting at 3 lights. That 9000 is a bit much for your 75.

Ok. New dcs 9000 jebao return is hooked up and running. So I can indeed confirm that at the lowest setting, it will not overflow my return. ...but lets wait until tomorrow. At the highest setting, it seems a bit scary. Water climbs to about to overflow the overflow with major gulping on the drain. I purchased the pump at this size because (1) I wanted more flow in the sump, (2) wanted to power a carbon reactor with it, and (3) it was cheaper than the 7000 by 20 bucks. Notwithstanding, if I had to do it again, I would buy a smaller return pump, such as the DCS5000 or 7000. It replaced a Mag 5 that refused to restart if power stopped. That pump seemed under powered.

The return plumbing has 3 90 elbows, 2 gates, 2 unions, and ultimately thru a 3/4 inch hole. The distance is about 2 feet right to left, and 4 feet up. The overflow runs down a herbie overflow and 1 1/4 braided plastic tube.

While the plumbing is a bit in the smaller scale for my personal use, you should be just fine at that. Don't beat yourself up chasing to 10x turnover. Low flow sumps are perfectly okay and extra skimmer dwell time is a good thing. I'd bet you could turn that pump up a fair way before potential overflow occurred. I run mine at 50% which is about 8x turnover (350gph by I've or take after head loss) but I could crank it one bar below full blast and never overflow anything. It's just loud at that point (both pump and overflow). I use my skimmer performance as the final judge of if flow is the right amount. I think full blast on my pump calculated to 900gph or so in my setup. I forget. And that's on a 48g lol. The beauty of DC pumps is you can tinker with it all day for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I wanted to more flow in the sump to permit more uptake of nutrients by the macro algae. My idea was to increase flow and light to macros and thus increase nutrient uptake. I have bubble algae in the tank and was hoping this may help. Plus, I am chasing the dream of getting colors of my corals like some of the rock star tanks in this group. Thus, I have jumped the flow a bit to see how that influences things. Plus, if the return is adding lots of flow, then I can remove one of the three circulations pumps in the tank.

I did play with the pump a bit this weekend to see where the tipping point was. I cranked it up to setting 7 of 10 and the water level was at but not exceeding the grate on the overflow box. The overflow was gulping every 3-5 seconds. Remember, 7 of 10 is not 70%. The pump lists a range output from 1850 to 2375 GPH (7000 - 9000 liters per hour). Assuming a linear progression, setting 7 is about 2218 GPH. Of course this number will come way down given the head pressure. All the same, the 10 point adjustments in power is NOT going from 10% to 100%. But cranking the pump up to setting 10 certainly stirs things up in the tank and sump.

Back