what to use?

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
i was wondering what people use for there returns on a non-plumbed tank?
do you just put the pvc into the tank or is there some knid of piece i can use to make it look a little nicer? i tried to set my first diy sump with soft plumbing and it is the most god ugly thing i have ever seen. so i decided to hard plumb it im just not sure what to use for the return in the tank. also it is a 55 gallon and i have a mag 7 for a pump. i tried to split it but the flow seems pretty low so i am going to just use one return. will that be enough flow if i place the powerhead on oppisite end of tank.

thanks in advance
chris

dont have the extra money for new pump at the moment so i have to make do with the mag 7 for now . will it still work ?

chris

ya it will work as a return, I just wouldnt split it so you dont lose flow

I also have a 55g non drilled tank. I run a Mag 9 wide open, using 1 1/2" pvc, which goes over the top of the tank, along the center brace, splitting into a T at the front of the tank, and each side of the T breaks off into 2 3/4" locline, which is aimed at random places. All you can see when the canopy is closed is about 1/2" of each piece of locline below the water surface. I also have 2 MJ1200's at each end of the tank, and I still don't think I have enough flow. It's not ideal, but I made do with what I had. You'll be o.k. with the Mag 7, but I wouldn't split the return more than 2 outlets, or you will really notice the lack of flux, which is important if you're using your main return for water flow inside the tank.

Back