What Type Of Paint?

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
ok i am in the middle of completing my second canopy ( the first was usable but not very pleasing to the eyes lol ) i was curious what kind of paint i should use for the white on the inside and also for the exterior ?
thanks

From what I was told flat white is the best if you are going to paint the inside. If you are leaving the outside natural then use at least 2 coats of poli. with sanding in between.
I use poli inside and out. With the right reflectors I feel there isn't a need to paint the inside white so I poli that as well Mt other top for my 90 is a year and a half old and still looks great.

i will be painting the outside black so i dont want to mess with stain if i dont have to, so i will go the white paint

Weird as it may sound, I've read somewhere that reflective measurements showed that glossy white was less reflective than flat white. I think it was 85-90% reflective.NBL

I've used a coat of oil base primer (kilz) and a coat of latex eggshell (because I had it already). As long as the primer is done right, the top coat of anything will cling well...2 coats of topcoat won't hurt either

Ditto what Andy said.You need to light sand the wood lightly w/180 or so grit sandpaper to get rid of the mill glaze then primer(kilz is a primer I believe) then paint then sand lightly then paint final coat.Use a good quality paint and you'll be good for a looong time.Glossy is easy to clean.

As I said in the beginning. Flat white is the best for reflectance. I know it doesn't sound right, but. I'll see if I can find the info on line.

Back