When should I remove feeder the star (harlequin shrimp related)

Brad S

Non-member
Its a 24 gallon tank and I worry about the star dying and decomposing... I've been removing them the second their actual body opens up... I just pulled the most recent star who's body is split in half with white strands emerging from the wound, but it still had healthy tube legs on its arms, so I just dropped it back in the tank and the harlequin immediately dragged it back to its cave... I'm just having a hard time telling when the star is actually dead...

You could try testing ammonia every day, and if you ever got measurable levels then you know you went too far, and you should pull it out earlier.

This is a tricky thing to do in a small tank because you have to keep your shrimp fed, but they feed on half-dead starfish. Kind of a catch-22.

One thing that might help is feeding them the smallest starfish you can find. If they're only an inch or two they'll probably be consumed before they rot. You'll need a lot of them though.

I wonder if you could acclimate local stars to our tank temps. I wonder if they'd live for a week while the shrimp consumed them. They're very plentiful in any rocky area around here (there) with tide pools.

You could try testing ammonia every day, and if you ever got measurable levels then you know you went too far, and you should pull it out earlier.

This is a tricky thing to do in a small tank because you have to keep your shrimp fed, but they feed on half-dead starfish. Kind of a catch-22.

One thing that might help is feeding them the smallest starfish you can find. If they're only an inch or two they'll probably be consumed before they rot. You'll need a lot of them though.

I wonder if you could acclimate local stars to our tank temps. I wonder if they'd live for a week while the shrimp consumed them. They're very plentiful in any rocky area around here (there) with tide pools.

funny you should mention that... I was thinking about that yesterday while I was out on a boat... I kept seeing them all over the dock... Next round of stars I'm going to freeze one, chop a part off and see if he'll accept that...

Back