where a tanks weight sits?

SharkLover

T5 LPS
Does anyone know where exactly the weight sits on a tank? I made a DIY stand and I over sized the build. The tanks four corners can sit on top just fine but the stands width dimensions are much larger than the tank itself so it won't sit flush all around the edges. any input?

The weight is evenly distributed across the entire bottom pane of glass. If your glass is not strong enough to support the entire weight, and you stand only supports sections of your bottom pane, you can create points of force which may damage your bottom pane. That being said, the bracing on the 58 may put all of the force around the edge if the pane doesnt sit against the stand itself (which I think might be true). It's more of a concern on larger tanks with a lot of force being applied to the bottom.

This is what I've gathered through my custom tank construction project. Pictures coming soon in a new thread :)

If the tank has a plastic bottom trim like Perfecto and All-Glass, the weight is distributed all along the trim, front,back and sides. If there is no trim the weight is spread all along the bottom pane evenly.

^ im gonna agree with you

can you get a picture of the empty tank in the stand? a pic means a thousand words:)

yea.. my 20g FW tank sits on a stand... made of particle board... no stand top... just the sides of the boards...

Back