Where can I find cockles?

jasonrusso

Non-member
Bob Fenner (Wet Web Media) says that cockles are one of the best bivalves to give your fish because of the lack of thiaminase. They would also be good for my puffer's teeth. That being said, I have no idea where to find them.

I live in Haverhill and I work in Burlington, but I haven't been able to find a fish or grocery store that carries them.

Nah I don’t think h mart has em right now. They’re probably a summer thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a local species, called the blood ark. They commonly wash ashore because they are fouled by codium algae mops. Look it up for a reference picture on google. Beaches on the south side of the cape, on Nantucket Sound and in Buzzards Bay (from New Bedford to the canal and the whole cape side of the bay have many of these, as well as the eastern side of Cape Cod Bay. They have a beard like layer of fur on the shell. Recently, some Massachusetts shell fishermen began harvesting them, mostly the bull raking quahog diggers. They are also found in Rhode Island and further south. Good collection beaches include Little Harbor beach in Wareham, Onset Beach, the Harwich Beaches, West Dennis Beach, South Yarmouth Beaches, the Brewster Flats, Wellfleet Harbor if you want to give that a try. I have seen a bullraker land two whole onion sacks full from Wellfleet Harbor in one morning’s work. Recently. Make sure you check local regulations. Shellfish wardens give fines. Call the town warden you plan to visit first, all town websites list a number for these guys. They will answer you.

If you set up a room temp holding tank for them, they would last at least a few weeks alive I bet.

There is a local species, called the blood ark. They commonly wash ashore because they are fouled by codium algae mops. Look it up for a reference picture on google. Beaches on the south side of the cape, on Nantucket Sound and in Buzzards Bay (from New Bedford to the canal and the whole cape side of the bay have many of these, as well as the eastern side of Cape Cod Bay. They have a beard like layer of fur on the shell. Recently, some Massachusetts shell fishermen began harvesting them, mostly the bull raking quahog diggers. They are also found in Rhode Island and further south. Good collection beaches include Little Harbor beach in Wareham, Onset Beach, the Harwich Beaches, West Dennis Beach, South Yarmouth Beaches, the Brewster Flats, Wellfleet Harbor if you want to give that a try. I have seen a bullraker land two whole onion sacks full from Wellfleet Harbor in one morning’s work. Recently. Make sure you check local regulations. Shellfish wardens give fines. Call the town warden you plan to visit first, all town websites list a number for these guys. They will answer you.
I'll check into that, thanks!!

Hmart in Burlington! They have all kinds of crazy seafood.

Attachments

• 20190311_114956.jpg
    20190311_114956.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 232
Back