where to buy tangs

there are some really bad reviews about SWF.com. i have ordered from them 2 times, and i have been moderately happy with them. they don't bag items really well, and there is not customer service number i don't think.

use liveaquaria, marinedepot, or reefermadness. all of these sites are great.

Not really what your asking for, but my $.02.

For tangs in particular I would try to shop local. Given that in general they are quite ick prone, and have relatively fast metabolisms, I'd want to see the fish and the system it's in before buying a tang.

Mail order you don't have any idea of the condition, fatness, size, and likelyhood of parisites. Of course a reputable E-tailer is better than a not so reputable one, but it can still be a bit hit or miss.

If your after a hard to find tang, or otherwise must go online, I have had very good exp with
http://www.exoticfish.com/
What I've gotten from them has been better than expected, AND I've gotten honest answers from them about something I've been considereing ordering. I've called on numerous occasions and talked with Jeff the owner, he's told me not to buy things because they don't look so good right now exct. IME not many e-tailers will be honest if the fish you want isn't looking good.

No matter what you do, I suggest using a proper QT process with any new tang. If I get one I'll do a full hypo treatment even if I see no sign of spots. Better safe than sorry, esp with a screen name like yours :) .

As far as local retailers go, I know that depending on what you want, they can (and will) order it for you. Recently I've seen a few beauties... the first one that comes to mind is the powder brown that Aqua Addicts has, saw a beautiful Vlamingi Unicorn at Jay's.. and a real pretty black tang at Aquarium Gallery. Then again, i'm not sure what you're looking for but that's JMO.

Just to correct some misinformation on my part,

I heard from a reliable soruce, Jeff is no longer running exoticfish.com so I cannot say anything about their current credibility. Not saying it's bad, just saying I can't say.

Anyway, go local IMO :)

jk

If you are going to order on line you may want to look at the Diver's Den section of Live Aquaria -- what you see is what you get. Additionally, you have the backing of their guarantee.

Back