Which actinic bulb to buy?

OceanGuy

I'm just ready to purchase replacements for two 48" actinic bulbs for my Hamilton light bank. It has these two actinic bulbs and two 175w 10,000K metal halide bulbs.

When I look at the catalogs there seem to be a number of types like:

Actinic white- Enhances the color of corals, live rock, and related marine life. Bulbs are a 50/50 combination of tri-band and actinic phosphors. 12,000K color temperature mixed with actinic radiation provides the realistic and life supporting system for marine life. 180 degree internal reflector

Actinic "03" - A great light for invertebrates and plants because the spectral energy distribution emitted by this bulb closely aligns with that of the blue chlorophyll absorbtion peak achieved in photosynthesis. 100% blue spectrum. 180 degree internal reflector.

Aqua Sun
Greatly enhances the color display of your tropical and marine fish. Blend of tri band phosphors provides the additional color temperature eeded for your mini reef system and is great for deep aquariums or for shallow water corals.

(Descriptions of bulbs taken from Drs. Foster and Smith catalog.)

In the tank, I have a variety of LPS, SPS, leathers, invertebrates and fish.
The tank is a 220 and it is about 36" from top to bottom.

Can anyone give me suggestions for the best type of light or a comination of
lights that would be best?

Thanks in advance for any help that you might give me.
Tom

Tom I know on RC there are a couple threads with the par output of all bulbs and each one thoroughly reviewed, so while I cannot answer your question I do know there is a ton of info you might find helpful over in the lighting forum.

Zack

Tom,
if your looking for the true actnic look. The one that makes non reefers say hey you have a black light on your tank go with the 03. The actnic white is kind of a 50/50 bulb and the aqua sun is a daylight bulb more like your halides. Hope that helps.

Alex

Thanks everyone. Just didn't want to put out $50 and find I'd bought the wrong bulbs. I've had the actinics I have to a year and they were not new when I got them. They are long overdue for replacement. I'll go with the 03's.

....Actinic "03" - A great light for invertebrates and plants because the spectral energy distribution emitted by this bulb closely aligns with that of the blue chlorophyll absorbtion peak achieved in photosynthesis. 100% blue spectrum. 180 degree internal reflector.
Tom

I suspect these are URI, (internal Reflector).

IMO best actinic bulb out there.

Alot of reefers, myself included use XM 10K's, these give a crisp white illumination for your tank. Then we add URI super actinic to bring out the colors and soften the white. The actinicwhite and aquasun would only be if you were using VHO's only, and they would be used in combination. But you already have MH's.

Back