Which brand ICP test kit do you use and why?

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
So I'm having a doozy of a time over here with some sticks dying and some other stuff such as lps and zoas not looking so hot. Swapped my radion over the tank about 1 1/2 months ago, but these corals were only under a different light for about 2 weeks. I did switch over salt mix as well but everything has been pretty much rock solid up until a week ago as I started seeing some things RTN. Inhabitants include a large pair of tomato clowns and a 3-4" Hoeven's wrasse. Various snails. Rock is well over 10 years old.
All parameters test well and have for some time.
7.8 dkh
10 ppm no3
.08-1 po4
453 ca
1500 mg
I was going to try the ATI test as that allows RO water sample to be tested as well but after reading something that RHF stated he wouldn't use theirs as it does not provide a baseline. What are your thoughts? What brand ICP have you used? What were your results?

Last edited:
Using Triton at present. Very happy with the how the test results are presented along with directions for correction if any is needed. Have been thinking of trying out ATI for the next one to compare.

Triton. The results for one tank showed most elements were within parameters with lower levels of Potassium and slightly higher levels of Aluminum.

Bought a Potassium test kit and Potassion. Been dosing Potassion and Acropower and the corals have responded very well.

Everyone knows to check Salinity, Temp, Alk, Calc, Mag, Nitrates, and Phosphates, but nobody really mentions Potassium.

I have only used triton. Every year at some point they go on sale and I snag a few.

I like that a few others test your source water too though. If you were having issues its one more thing you could cross off the list.

Bumping this up since last comment was 3+ years ago.

Any 2024 suggestions?

Thanks!
ATI and Oceamo MS ICP, haven't used either since the summer but will be sending ATI out as soon as water fills this tank upgrade. Sump delivery between 12 and 4PM tomorrow. Hoping to have the system wet by the weekend.

Been using ATI. Just sent in a sample last week with Fauna Marin because I want to see how they compare and I have been hearing good things. I am still very skeptical with these reef icp companies because who knows what their QC is like.

ATI and Oceamo MS ICP, haven't used either since the summer but will be sending ATI out as soon as water fills this tank upgrade. Sump delivery between 12 and 4PM tomorrow. Hoping to have the system wet by the weekend.
Is there still a 2-3 week delay in testing results from ATI? I remember seeing this in forums someplace -

Been using ATI. Just sent in a sample last week with Fauna Marin because I want to see how they compare and I have been hearing good things. I am still very skeptical with these reef icp companies because who knows what their QC is like.
Curious to hear about your experience with FM and how it compares to ATI in your opinion.

So I'm having a doozy of a time over here with some sticks dying and some other stuff such as lps and zoas not looking so hot. Swapped my radion over the tank about 1 1/2 months ago, but these corals were only under a different light for about 2 weeks. I did switch over salt mix as well but everything has been pretty much rock solid up until a week ago as I started seeing some things RTN. Inhabitants include a large pair of tomato clowns and a 3-4" Hoeven's wrasse. Various snails. Rock is well over 10 years old.
All parameters test well and have for some time.
7.8 dkh
10 ppm no3
.08-1 po4
453 ca
1500 mg
I was going to try the ATI test as that allows RO water sample to be tested as well but after reading something that RHF stated he wouldn't use theirs as it does not provide a baseline. What are your thoughts? What brand ICP have you used? What were your results?
So what was the reason for the RTN?

I f my memory serves me correct I think I elevated my salinity through the roof, but 3 years ago so I'm really not sure

Back