which lighting is best over an acrylic tank?

trajik ink

will i am
just got this tank the other day and was wondering what kind of lighting would be best to place over an acrylic tank? i know there are many horror stories about using mh's and i was leaning towards 6-8 vho bulbs (diy). i know that led's would be great but i'm on a budget. aslo i do have mh fixtures here and i'm really wondering if i should put them over the openings or not and if i decide to, how high up should i place them? any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated....thx!

Any light should be fine over an acrylic tank. What have you heard to the contrary? Of course you could melt a brace if you put a MH too close, but otherwise no worries with MH, T5, VHO, PC, NO, LED...

id try and save up ,running MH costs about 500 a year and a awesome led fix will run you about the same.

I'm not familiar with the concept of MH/acrylic horror stories. What is it like euro-braced so the top acrylic would be exposed to the heat?

Are you talking about melting the tank or softening the plastic so it bows out? I melted my aqua clear filter top/lid with my halide lol it was resting on it tho cuz i didn't hang it, and it was thin plastic. that was my fault tho :) Then i put a plastic hanger across the top of the lil 10 gallon hex and rested the halide on that... no problems with melting the plastic hanger tho.. that set up is long gone now..

as long as you don't put a brace under a bulb, MH is fine. If you have a brace, you might be better of with the lower heat T5 ...or VHO.

costs pile up if you have to replace a lot of bulbs every year.....

Back