Which trace element supplements do you recommend?

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi everyone,

I have never dosed trace elements. But I am debating giving them a try.

My tank growth is pretty poor and so is my coloration. I use Kak in my ATO and bi- weekly waterchanges with RSCP. Keeps my parameters very stable

Cal 450
Alk 8.5
Mag 1350
Ph 7.8-8.2 depending on the day
Salinity 1.026 using refractometer
Temp 77-78 Inkbird control with fan

4bulb T5 2 B+, C+, P+...2B+ on 12hrs. All 4 on for 10. Fixture is about 10" off the water of an IM nuvo 20.

All corals are happy, and I have seen some growth,but its slow. My sunset monti is brownish with green polyps..used to look great before I almost lost the colony a year ago. Zoas don't really grow for me...I've had the same 20ish polyps for years. Changed locations, lighting...always happy, but no growth. My hammer which was bleached a year ago has only gained minimal color back. On the other hand my German blue digi grows non-stop regardless of being up under the lights on the rock or in the sand lol.

So basically, I am looking to try something new to boost colors and growth. I know from reading many reviews people get mixed results. Many also say not to dose what you can't test. I understand that perspective as well.

Anyway...any pointers or guidance is appreciated! Thanks everyone!
20200727_101058.jpg

I think you would be better off dosing ami o acids then trace elements. Your tank looks to clean. Needs more fish poop or aminos. You do t have any corals that are depleting trace elements in your tank or enough depletion to make the corals not have good coloration. Just my 2 cents

How recently did you change the bulbs in the T-5? If they are over a year old, might be time for a change. I am not a lighting guru, but is it also possible photoperiod is too long and strong, sounds like it might be to me...
I am curious about your Nitrate parameters, is it too clean? Also, that is a large amount of softies (leathers) it looks like in the tank. They exude lots of defense chemicals that can inhibit Zoa and Sps growth. Running carbon might help remove those chemicals, plus aggressive skimming. Just another possibility. I don’t dose trace, use kalk, and do weekly smaller 5-10% water changes as well.

Last edited:
I use aquaforest component 123 for dosing. It does the big 3 alk, ca, mag and has trace elements so you don't have to dose separately. Keeps you from having to play mad scientist. Although your tank looks like mostly softies so I'm not sure you need much dosing. Maybe do and icp test before you buy anything to see exactly where your tank is at.

I think you would be better off dosing ami o acids then trace elements. Your tank looks to clean. Needs more fish poop or aminos. You do t have any corals that are depleting trace elements in your tank or enough depletion to make the corals not have good coloration. Just my 2 cents
That is possible. I dise Vibrant...like half recommend...each week and its helped me eliminate alagae and bubble algae.

I feed pretty light since I only have a single clown. I've tried feeding more and feeding the corals, but it usually just resuts in a resurgence of algae growth and nit benefit thats visible to me coral wise.

How recently did you change the bulbs in the T-5? If they are over a year old, might be time for a change. I am not a lighting guru, but is it also possible photoperiod is too long and strong, sounds like it might be to me...
I am curious about your Nitrate parameters, is it too clean? Also, that is a large amount of softies (leathers) it looks like in the tank. They exude lots of defense chemicals that can inhibit Zoa and Sps growth. Running carbon might help remove those chemicals, plus aggressive skimming. Just another possibility. I don’t dose trace, use kalk, and do weekly smaller 5-10% water changes as well.
I change the bulbs out yearly...this last set went in mid Jan so output should be fine. I have never tested par, but I don't seem to loose color, just not gaining any either. I have used this same photo period on this tank for years and been through periods of success and failure...failure due to stupidity and laziness with other things....i could try reducing it and see what happens.

I run Rox carbon in a media bag and swapp it ever 2 weeks during water changes to take care of anything released by the leathers.

I use aquaforest component 123 for dosing. It does the big 3 alk, ca, mag and has trace elements so you don't have to dose separately. Keeps you from having to play mad scientist. Although your tank looks like mostly softies so I'm not sure you need much dosing. Maybe do and icp test before you buy anything to see exactly where your tank is at.
Kalk works well for me and my demand is quite low.. it has kept my params stable for a long time. Plus its automated in a way. I feel like just adding a touch of trace or aminos here and there would be a simple addition as opposed to swapping to a whole new system.

Maybe it’s not trace elements that’s throwing your tank off. Maybe it’s your nutrients. You didn’t mention nitrates and phosphates. I bet these are high levels. This would be my first guess for corals browning. Lighting could be another issue. Also do you feed, if not maybe feed once a week. Just my two cents.

For a 20 gal tank, water changes should add back trace elements.

Zoas shouldn’t have a problem growing in a tank with leathers running carbon.

Check nitrates and phosphates and if low try amino acids.

If your corals are pale and your zoas aren’t growing much, you probably don’t have enough nitrate/phos. I thought I read somewhere of people having low nutrient issues with prolonged use of vibrant. Ill have to find where I saw that. But my bet is low nutrients.

I need to guy some test kits for N/P but I'm going to try doing some aminos in the mean time that I just picked up. See how it goes. Will take it slow at first.

Thanks everyone

Back