Who uses trace element and / or Amino additives

snowmaker

Non-member
Curious as to who is dosing trace and / or amino additives.
Product
Results

For trace elements I have been using Knop Koralvit Combi and Amino supplement from Korralin - AminoLife. Both have, IMO kept the corals in my sps system colored up and healthy with virtually no water changes (I have changed 10 gal. on a 120 display - 40g sump, 30g fragfarm) since I fired up the sump in late Dec. Display didn't get wet until early Jan. Everything was started with mostly aged water from other systems, fully cured aged rock and live washed sand (in fuge) from other systems. Display sand was new.

For the last 2+ months, I've added weekly dose of TM's Reef Actif, and seeing bolder colors now.
I just ran out of the Knop trace supplement and have finally found and ordered TM's Pro Coral A- and K+, 2 part trace additive.
One of your chemist members could only make a concentrated trace additive in 2 parts, as certain elements would fall out of solution (if I remember correctly) so the new TM product seemed worth a try.
As a tangent to this already long post, the TM (Tropic Marin) rep explained the trend in Europe has been to run captive reef Alkalinity lower than we typically do - at around 6.5 - 7.5 dKH. The reason, he said, was that the Calcium uptake is much higher in hard corals, and that the obvious benefit was better color and faster growth. He also talked about the importance of maintaining a Mg to Ca relationship at around 3:1.
Right now (home injured) I'm trying to figure out tuning my Ca reactor down to maintain Alk at 7 'ish dKH, and adding TM's Bio Calcium and Bio Magnesium to keep them up around 400 ppm and 1200+ ppm respectively.
I think it will be interesting to try for 6 months or so.

I have used zeovit aminos for about 4 years with good success.
I would not recommend them in systems that do not have ultra low nutients though.
I have also been running my alk at 7 dkh for 4 years with great success

I do weekly 5% water changes to replenish trace elements

... and your corals look great so thanks for that input.
Last 2 times I checked NO3 was 0 and PO4 read .01 ppm (with a photometer accurate to .04 ppm) - for what it's worth.
I have, on occasion, used a Korallin product called PO4 Minus. It supposedly is something - an enzyme maybe, that gets PO4 to bind to each other so that they are large enough particles that the skimmer removes.
I am also running about 2 cups carbon with 1 cup GFO changed out monthly.
I'd guess system volume at around 165g.

Last edited:
I do very little water changes as well(500g+ system). I haven't gotten too fancy with additives, just some various Kent products.
I also used to keep Alk between 6-8, with the school of thought that it was easier for the corals to take things in/out of solution. I went back up to 8-10 a while back for the sake of ph stability. Liam, I didn't realize you were running it low also. Now I'm contemplating going back to the low end, at least during the spring/summer when the house isn't closed up all the time. In the winter months I was concerned more about ph dropping due to more co2 in the house, but now that's not as much of a concern.

I add Vitality (vitamin and amino acid w vitamin c) by seachem, to the fish food. I mix an f1 cube, mysis cube rotifers and color up phytoplankton all together and feed that to fish and corals
i have a lot of my corals in my frags tank under a 65 watt power compact right now waiting for the 75 to get up and running and this mixture seems to help keep the colors up even with the extremely low lighting

I also, maybe once a week pour a capful of Reef plus (concentrated vitamin & amino acids supplement) by seachem also, directly into the tank

Once a week I also add Purple Up (because it has a mixture of all the elements, plus helps the coraline algae), and once a week I add Kent Calcium
I have been really slacking on my water changes lately.. its been like a 25% water change once every 3 weeks.. oops.. everyone is ok tho :)
My main issue is the heat.. my tank raises to about 86-90 daily due to the halide.. and i even cut back the time, took off the plexi tank top and add bags of ice... everything opens up tho.. and i have notices a reduction in flatworm population due to the heat.

I've been using AquaVitro - Fuel for a while now and have had a positive growth response in all of my sps. Theres alot more polyp extension and encrustation. Unfortunately my calcium depletes like crazy from all the growth so I'm constantly maintaining it. Now I use B-Ionic (switched from Kent's Nano) and everything is very stable.

I'm not sure if it was the particular bottle but I was dosing twice as much and more often of the Kent product than the B-Ionic..

I dosed C-balance A + B... but now I only put part B (Alk) into my reservoir and no longer use part A... I want to get into the Zeovits just need to do a little more research

I've been using AquaVitro - Fuel for a while now and have had a positive growth response in all of my sps. Theres alot more polyp extension and encrustation. Unfortunately my calcium depletes like crazy from all the growth so I'm constantly maintaining it. Now I use B-Ionic (switched from Kent's Nano) and everything is very stable.

I'm not sure if it was the particular bottle but I was dosing twice as much and more often of the Kent product than the B-Ionic..

I've been using AquaVitro - Fuel also. I find the corals are responding well, more colorful and more polyp extension. I use more 2 part now also.

I started using Kent Zoe and their 2-part liquid about a month or so ago, I'm getting much more polyp extension on my SPS as well as some excellent color and growth since I started. My Purple Tort is really taking off since I started using these products.

Back