who can bend acrylic?

TheBigBadReefer

BRS Member
I'm looking for someone who has the know how and means to bend acrylic. I'm in need of and octagon. If anyone has experience in this or knows someone please feel free to post in here or pm me. Thanks in advance!

What are you looking to make? I can bend acrylic, but not with the precision needed to build a tank.

I need an octagon tube made about the size of a 5 gal bucket as long as the top is level with the bottom I'm not entirely too picky

Sounds easy - Do you have access to a table saw?

Measure your piece and scribe 7 straight lines. where you want the bends to be.
Set the height of your blade to less then the thickness of the acrylic. Use the fence on your saw to keep the cuts straight.
You are not going to cut all the way through. you are simply going to deeply score it. You may also use a router with a Dove bit.

Once your scores are made, use a heat gun. A propane torch will also work but keep it moving back and forth along the score.
and easily apply pressure until the bend starts to form. Use a gauge to check your work. Patience is the key.

Once you get the shape to close into your octagon. Use some weld-on #4 in the score marks. They main joint may need some tape to hold it still. You may also want to bevel the edges so their is more surface area to bond.

Keep in mind this is for a tight radius bend which I do fairly often.

Sounds easy - Do you have access to a table saw?

Measure your piece and scribe 7 straight lines. where you want the bends to be.
Set the height of your blade to less then the thickness of the acrylic. Use the fence on your saw to keep the cuts straight.
You are not going to cut all the way through. you are simply going to deeply score it. You may also use a router with a Dove bit.

Once your scores are made, use a heat gun. A propane torch will also work but keep it moving back and forth along the score.
and easily apply pressure until the bend starts to form. Use a gauge to check your work. Patience is the key.

Once you get the shape to close into your octagon. Use some weld-on #4 in the score marks. They main joint may need some tape to hold it still. You may also want to bevel the edges so their is more surface area to bond.

Keep in mind this is for a tight radius bend which I do fairly often.
NICE

Awesome I actually have a router table, and table saw. I shall give this a shot. Thank you!

Please post some pics of the finished octagon.

Back