Who here runs carbon 24/7

wcj_ink

Non-member
I was curious who here is running carbon 24/7 and why?
I was running gfo for the past 3 months and I noticed that it wasn't really doing anything for my tank. the last 2 days I've been getting some brown film on my DT glass and it's worse in my sump (which doesn't bother me there as long as it stays there) so I switched my gfo and started running carbon today. I plan on running it 24/7 and see how it goes from there. so lmk who else is using carbon and your experience..thanks

From what I've read, running carbon 24/7 is not a good idea. Also depends on what corals your keeping
I heard that too but it's also mixed reviews on it. some say they take out trace elements from the water but I figure since I have an automatic water change setup for everyday that will keep those elements in check

I have run it 24/7 before not in a reactor with no major issues that I recall. I do plan on running it in a filter bag when I set up the HOB refugium sometime next week....

I have run it 24/7 before not in a reactor with no major issues that I recall. I do plan on running it in a filter bag when I set up the HOB refugium sometime next week....
I have ran it in a bag before as well from time to time with no ill effects.....today I put it in my reactor and I'm going to keep a close eye on my elements for now and see how it goes.

I have it in a reactor with zeomix that runs 24/7. I probably change it every month or so when I remember. Not sure how much it does after the first week.

I have it in a reactor with zeomix that runs 24/7. I probably change it every month or so when I remember. Not sure how much it does after the first week.
yeah I believe it should be changed weekly for sure for it to keep achieving its purpose. I plan on changing it weekly, its cheap enough to do.

My softies/leathers never seem to like it when I use any. I only use it after tank moves, or major scape changes. I haven't ran on my freshwater tanks in 15 years unless I'm doing major changes, and a max of 2 days.
It really isn't needed in my opinion unless you have a specific issue that can be absorbed by carbon.

I also feel a lot of people who run GFO's eventually don't run them after a period of time.

It's also been a bit of debate it aides in HITH for a long time now. When I use to breed Geophagus the grow out tanks I ran carbon 24/7 on had a high degree of development issues.

My softies/leathers never seem to like it when I use any. I only use it after tank moves, or major scape changes. I haven't ran on my freshwater tanks in 15 years unless I'm doing major changes, and a max of 2 days.
It really isn't needed in my opinion unless you have a specific issue that can be absorbed by carbon.

I also feel a lot of people who run GFO's eventually don't run them after a period of time.

It's also been a bit of debate it aides in HITH for a long time now. When I use to breed Geophagus the grow out tanks I ran carbon 24/7 on had a high degree of development issues.

majority of people swear by it and then there's some that just seen nothing but declines.

I've always run a bag of carbon 24/7, and I'm running it now. I change it out every 6-8 weeks. I've never had any issues.

I run it without a reactor 24/7 and find it just helps with stress like worrying about a zoa releasing palytoxins. All my corals are doing just fine my acro is constantly open and growing so I dont think it effects very negatively

I run it 24/7 and I view it as protection..... wouldn’t run an sps tank without it. Now gfo I’m hit or miss on but normally I just run a small amount and change once a month. Take some months off too to see if I got a reaction from anything.

Very good point above that if you’re doing wholesale changes to Scape or fragging etc, good to throw a load in.

Carbon can make the fish HLLE. Run it few aday in a month and start 1/2 cup-3 cup.
Carbon dose do good for crystal water but some coral they dont like carbon.
I recommend use UV for and run about 1/2 cup carbon mix with 1/2 cup GFO for 50 gallon. And No more than 1 cup of each.
I dont have issue yellow water when i start UV. And i dont use carbon anymore since last year( My foxface and yellow they have HLLE because carbon after stop use carbon they get back normal and healthy about in 3 month)

All data every day, don't change it more than once a month and run slightly more than recommend amount in reactors on all of my tanks. I have a 5 gallon bucket worth on hand at all times

Carbon can make the fish HLLE. Run it few aday in a month and start 1/2 cup-3 cup.
Carbon dose do good for crystal water but some coral they dont like carbon.
I recommend use UV for and run about 1/2 cup carbon mix with 1/2 cup GFO for 50 gallon. And No more than 1 cup of each.
I dont have issue yellow water when i start UV. And i dont use carbon anymore since last year( My foxface and yellow they have HLLE because carbon after stop use carbon they get back normal and healthy about in 3 month)
never heard of carbon giving fish HLLE before. I always think of poor water quality when i see HLLE on a fish, carbon purifies so I don’t see as carbon causing something like that.

Back