who in here has downgraded, were you glad?

I went from a 180 gallon system down to a 29 then to a 40 and now back to the 29 (seam let go on the 40 last week) Big pain trying to keep things stable with a smaller tank but I did find a solution. I added a 20 gallon sump and plumbed in a 7 gallon cube now with the extra volume things are easier to manage .last night my wife who has no use for the hobby says to me you should have just kept the big tank it looked nicer than all the small ones.
I should have never sold the larger tank

I am actually down grading this coming week, or the week after depending when i can get the new tank drilled... i am picking up a rimless 65g breeder from a fellow local reefer on monday... the footprint is the same as the current 75g i have, however it is 4" shorter, so i will have greater light penetration and greater par at the lower levels of the display... there will be no overflow, as i will drill (2) 1" drain standpipes, one in each upper corner of the back wall, with a 3/4" return centered at the top of the back wall... im actually really excited given the sale does not fall through, which i am not expecting it to do... i will shorten the columns i use and lower each coral a bit... i will still be utilizing the pair of mp40's ES W's...

I am no longer planning on using the 180g i have, and it is being sold and picked up tomorrow...

This will be my first downgrade in gallonage i have done...

I am actually down grading this coming week, or the week after depending when i can get the new tank drilled... i am picking up a rimless 65g breeder from a fellow local reefer on monday...

nice! be sure to post pics ....................

I went from a 125g to a 90g corner, much happier with the new setup. Still miss watching my guys race back and forth, but it's so much less of a pain for upkeep.

I had the 90g setup going for about 2 years, and never get around to do a good job on maintenance it. Last year, I downgraded to the 30g with 20g sump and could not be much happier
the bad thing is you will be limited with a number of fish with a smaller tank and an easy swing in parameters if you are not be careful.

Last edited:
I keep downgrading but somehow the total water volume is increasing...
For real, keeping a smaller tank will not take less work unless you go from a >100 gallon to a 10 gallon nano.

Had a 100 gal at my parents house. I broke it down then when i moved to my apartment i set up a 45 gal. I am happy with the set up but wish i still had a larger tank.

I went from 28g to 55g to a 90g and down to 40g and recently down to a 17.4 nano and couldn't be much happier
Thing are so easy on smaller tank

Back