Who likes liverock from where?

I like Fiji. One thing I don't like about the Gulf stuff is the odds of getting some sort of bad hitchhiker. I also like how the Fiji looks. I think in the 40breeder I am setting up I will use a mix of fiji and kaelini.

Just my 2 cents.

I just got the nano package from FosterSmith / LiveAquaria from Fedex today .... Not bad ... different coralline ... some other stuff growing on it ... have not really identified yet ... the nano package is from everywhere (probably scraps from their holding tanks.) I am setting up a 20 gallon, so still have some plumbing to complete... should get a better look at it all tomorrow (it's in 5 gal. bucket), but ... 16 lbs for $70 .. $20 for Fedex overnight.... no complaints compared to what I?ve seen locally.

As far as location ... I like the look of the branch rock from Tonga... I'd go in that direction if I was going to do a larger tank. Only drawback I 've heard of about FLA rock is that it's heavy ... and mantis shrimp roulette.

Personally, I've had my pick of several 45lb boxes of Walt Smith Live Rock shipped direct from Fiji. Some of it is awesome. Some sucks. If I was stuck with the whole box,I'd be less than satisfied especially given the rate I would have to pay. Coincidentally, I also feel much the same way about purchasing livestock. My personal preference would always be to see what I buy before hand. When people like Mike (Aqua Addicts) and Marco (Fishy Business) have hundreds of pounds of live and dry, it makes no sense to pay shipping fees.

Yeah, not having transportation beyond the T sucks. Especially when talking about ~100lbs of rock....

By the way, I'd start with closer to 50 pounds for your 55. See how the aquascaping goes, and add a few pieces from locally if you think you need it. 100 sounds like quite a bit. Of course you can sell it without much trouble if you have extra.

I've been looking at pics of people's tanks trying to figure out how much will be enough, or how much I want. I figured that if I got the FL aquacultured rock it'd be denser anyway...

I wouldn't go with Florida rock (lots of aptasia and annoying mussels that make it tough to put corals around). I got florida rock when I started and it's not as good as Fiji or Lalo or Tonga rock. I'd get it off LiveAquaria.com

great stuff.

Last edited:
NateHanson said:
By the way, I'd start with closer to 50 pounds for your 55. See how the aquascaping goes, and add a few pieces from locally if you think you need it. 100 sounds like quite a bit. Of course you can sell it without much trouble if you have extra.
I had about 90 lbs of Figi in my 55 and it was not too much. In face there was room for more. 50 lbs of Gulf stuff will not be near enough for a 55 as this is heavier rock than the Figi.

I got cured Kaelini rock from Premium Aquatics and really liked both the sizes/shapes of the rock, and the fact that my cycle only lasted about one day. There was little in the way of hitchhikers and additional life on the rocks, besides coraline algae (as they mention on the website), but that's a good thing in my view. FWIW, I got 20lbs for a 15g nano-tank and the quantity seemed adequate.

Nuno

I was at Aqua Addicts today (first time), and the Fiji Rock was the best I 've seen local. Lot's of purple Coralline. .. large sizes. .... worth a look.

Banik said:
Anybody know how dense the different rock-types are?

In relative terms, Gulf rock is heavier than Fiji, which is heavier than Tongan (Kaelini) rock. That's my experience. I can't speak for the other Pacific types.

Why exactly is it that florida gulf rock has more hitchhikers (aptasia and mantis shrimp, I presume). I keep reading this over and over, but with no explanation.

I believe the florida rock arrives with more hitchikers because it is shipped quickly enough that mantis shrimp and crabs don't die enroute.

Aye, FL rock has more life on it because there's so little shipping/transit time from where it originated.

Back