Why again should I be running this wretched skimmer........

mnavick

BRS Member
ASM G4
Gate valve mod..
9" of DT water.
Been in 90g sump for close to 2yrs..
Spend more time with bubble head below neck (3"-4") due to constant overflowing.
Can't count the numerous times I've overflowed my overflow container. I feed every other day (mix of frozen) and off days are leafy greens.
Only time it runs "decent" is the 12 hours before the next feeding, I'll adjust the bubble head to be at maximum height. Even after that point I get a light green bubble collection. No where near the green sludge others talk about with their skimmers.
I clean the collection cup every week. The base was given a vinegar bath before submersion and only rinse it out every 6-8 months depending on build up if any (tiny starfish,1/4" snails). No lights in 90g sump.
Total tank volume is just under 300g. Original tank (90g) was running for 8yrs before upgrading to 150g (with 90g sump and 55g fuge),which has been running for 2yrs.

Thoughts/opinions :)

ASM G4
Spend more time with bubble head below neck (3"-4") due to constant overflowing.
Can't count the numerous times I've overflowed my overflow container. I feed every other day (mix of frozen) and off days are leafy greens.
Only time it runs "decent" is the 12 hours before the next feeding, I'll adjust the bubble head to be at maximum height. Even after that point I get a light green bubble collection. No where near the green sludge others talk about with their skimmers.

Thoughts/opinions :)

I was running the same Skimmer you have for the last 6 yrs until I got tired of the same issues you are having, Here is my suggestion, do the same thing I did... GET A PM BULLET 2 SKIMMER!

are you using prepackaged frozen? if so that might explain your over flow issue, as some food has binders that will make foam shootout the sides of any skimmer. you will never get any consistency out of the skimmer if that is the case.

But I think the skimmer is way under driven and just not made well. finicky is an understatement unless you MOD it and even then......

The PM bullets are nice but not very efficient without the right pump, but they are built like a tank.

There are so many much better options than a ASM G4 they were a OK alternative to a Euroreef back in the day.

Plus the newer skimmers are smaller and run on next to no electricity.

Been running a PM bullet 2 over here for a few years now and the thing is an absolute beast, not even thinking of an upgrade!

are you using prepackaged frozen? if so that might explain your over flow issue, as some food has binders that will make foam shootout the sides of any skimmer. you will never get any consistency out of the skimmer if that is the case.

But I think the skimmer is way under driven and just not made well. finicky is an understatement unless you MOD it and even then......

The PM bullets are nice but not very efficient without the right pump, but they are built like a tank.

There are so many much better options than a ASM G4 they were a OK alternative to a Euroreef back in the day.

Plus the newer skimmers are smaller and run on next to no electricity.

My MSX cone pulls 61 watts on a kill-a-watt, and it pulls a lot of gunk out of my ~450 gallon system.

Looks like I'm entering into that "what skimmer to buy" realm again, UGH!!!!!

This will be a fun "sell" to the wife. Honey I know I just upgraded 2yrs ago but now I need a better skimmer :)

i woke up this morning to find mine going nuts as well...with no changes to how the tank looks and nothing was added...wondering if it's something in the air.

So I run the bubble magus curve 7 and love it. It’s set and forget. Just converted my neighbor over to it from one of those more expensive models that was requiring constant adjustments.

I also have a home built “brs plastic container” skimmer collection container that has a float switch hooked to my apex. Have never overflowed my skimmer collection container since the skimmer goes off and notifies me when it’s full.

I clean the collection cup every 2 weeks maybe 3 if I’m lazy.

My tank has a good bio load and the skimmer and a refugium kept my nitrates at 0. I even started dosing nitrate because my nitrates are so low. And I feed almost every day.

I do have the skimmer setup to go off for almost 10 min during feeding time so not sure if that helps

Can’t say enough good things about this skimmer.

Can we get the 10 year update on the tank??

It looks like the tank is being broken down sadly :( but 15 years is a great run IMO!

i woke up this morning to find mine going nuts as well...with no changes to how the tank looks and nothing was added...wondering if it's something in the air.
That’s funny because my skimmer has been overflowing lately too. I have a much smaller system, but my skimmer is usually pretty dry on this setting, but I’ve been finding it completely overflowing lately.

I wonder if it has to do with the bad air quality in the past few weeks..

That’s funny because my skimmer has been overflowing lately too. I have a much smaller system, but my skimmer is usually pretty dry on this setting, but I’ve been finding it completely overflowing lately.

I wonder if it has to do with the bad air quality in the past few weeks..
Aaaaand I should be looking at post dates. Something tells me these things are unrelated….

Back