Why is round acrylic tube so expensive?

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I have a shop here at work that I could just about make anything.
But for the price of some of the components,I would be better off just buying the product.There's gotta be cheaper prices than $70 for a 5 inch 1/8 wall 36 lg. acrylic tube.:(

I believe it was extruded.
I just looked some up in McMaster-Carr.

Mike,extruded only goes to 3 inch diameter.
At least at this company.
I was looking at possibly doing a DYI small skimmer with a maxi-jet 900.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for, if it's extruded 1/8 wall thickness I would not use it but that's me.

Jim

You get what you pay for, if it's extruded 1/8 wall thickness I would not use it but that's me.

Jim

I was going to say that also, but I figured someone would give me a hard time for saying it.... Saftey in numbers I guess :)

Extruded run of the mill tubing has high internal stresses from the extruding process, with proper heat treatment they can be greatly reduced but my experience is stuff like many suppliers sell is junk. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken s**t.

Jim

Extruded run of the mill tubing has high internal stresses from the extruding process, with proper heat treatment they can be greatly reduced but my experience is stuff like many suppliers sell is junk. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken s**t.

Jim

Right, its definitely an inferior material, but we're not talking about building tanks here. We're talking small skimmers, and for anything under about 4' tall and 8" wide, extruded is more than strong enough. Theres just some considerations that need to be made with the bonding of it.

The real problem with the stuff is the stress cracks that develope over time, and all your hard work is lost because of a few bucks saved with inferior material. If I could give any advice to people looking to build a quality DIY project is pay more and purchase 1/4 wall "CAST TUBING".

JIm

Agreed.

Clearly extruded is totally adequate for some projects, but not so good for others.

One specific issue I've run into is crazing around any fittings run through the tube. For ex when making a reactor or skimmer, if good sized (1/2, 3/4" fittings are installed in the side of the tubing, I've seen major crazing develp very easily. (crazing being when the material forms many little cracks looking almost like a spider web). On the other hand, with cast tubing I've drilled, tapped and installed fittings quite tight with solvent, and had no sign of crazing whatsoever. (I'm not sure how well it would work using Uni-seals, these may put a lot less stress on the tubing and be better/safer than threading and or using solvent to attach fittings?)

On the other hand, if you don't drill holes in the tubing, but rather run any fittings through the top and or bottom, IME extruded seems to work fine.

In the end, take into consideration the work your putting into any project and think of what those hours are worth to you. Personally I'm very reluctant to use extruded for anything more substantial than a simple chamber with not fittings going through the tube, skimmers exct, I'd shell out the $ for cast - if nothing else, cast is IME WAY more forgiving.

Any info on the design your thinking about? Got a drawing or an example your basing your ideas on?

John, if you use extruded, and want to go through the side, cut out a 1/2" thick piece and heat form it to fit the side of the extruded pipe. Glue it on, and then drill through both. Thread the 1/2" block, and screw into that. It'll keep the force off the edges of the hole.

Its basically what Deltec does with their smaller extruded skimmers (except they use ABS)

That's a good idea, but in the end I'd rather just shell out the extra $ for cast, but that's me..

Back