Why won't my chaeto grow?

J

jokersplayground

For the life of me I can't get chaeto to grow. It won't die or anything but it just does not grow. I know I have food in the system for it to grow but nothing. I had a tiny strand of bubble calurpa in there and now that has grown in to the sump way more than my chaeto. I have a grow bulb over the refuge and plenty of flow going through it as well. What do you guys think?

What type of bulb and wattage?
Could also be starved for nutrients whereas your corals are taking it away.

It's a t8 bulb plant growing bulb 18watts.. maybe but I do get film algae on the glass atleast once a day. I feed 2 times a day

you mentioned "plenty of flow". You should run a slower flow through the fuge so that the plants are not constantly exposed to cleaner water. They don't take up nutrients as quickly as a protein skimmer.

I had that problem years ago. I replaced the cfl bulb with a 6500 Par38 led bulb and aimed it right at the ball of chaeto. I'll just say that it grew very well receiving over 700 par.....

Don't feel bad i've never grown chaeto either. CFl, nope. Standard old bulbs, nope. LED, nope. I've tried all sorts of combinations and like you they stay alive, but never grows.
No clue why.

I find spreading the chaeto out for better light absorption helps with growth. Do you run GFO for phosphate control?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I find spreading the chaeto out for better light absorption helps with growth. Do you run GFO for phosphate control?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Nope no phosphate remover. I try to stay as natural as possible

Somebody recommended to me 3000k LED par 38 lamp. I just finished cycling my tank. I am going to try this out

I used to grow about a cubic foot of chaeto every month in our refugium in our 90 gallon tank. The three things you need are light, flow, and enough nutrients.

Most folks I've seen with problems with chaeto don't have much flow in their sump. I ran a large amount of flow through our sump (~ 1800gph). Your mileage may vary.

Secondly, having a large amount of light will help. I used a 150w equivalent full spectrum CFL bulb: http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-ESL40TN-Fluorescent-High-Wattage/dp/B001AZOV9K

My comment is, i have a basic 36 watt 6500k Power compact. But lots of fish, and feed heavy. My cheato is thinned out every 2 weeks. Anyone reading this, who needs some. Send me a pm, it will be free. Live in Epping nh.

Back