Will my Gorgonian straighten up?

smurphy

BRS Member
Fairly straightforward: I picked up this photosynthetic gorgonian a month or so ago and it was bent from the start. I’ve had it under a fairly direct flow which I’ve corrected and now moved it to a more central, high-ish location with high, indirect flow. The polyps are retracted right now because I just moved it but I’ve been thinking, maybe I need to adjust its position to counter the bend if it’s always going to be growing out sideways like this. Will the base always be angled like that or will it adjust itself upwards as it grows? Thanks for any advice!

6A51A5F0-4026-4242-AB1D-DAC3514A54AC.jpeg

Should grow to the light now that the flow isnt hitting it too much
So I shouldn’t expect the already curved base that already exist to correct itself much/at all, correct? Just trying to figure out if I should regular it at an angle that generally points it up.

Upvote 0
I kept something very similar for some time. As I recall it didn’t seem to adapt it’s growth in relation to light much if at all (and not a fast grower). More like it would grow and branch in a more or less straight direction, up and away from it’s base. What you’re describing seems consistent with what I remember as being typical.

Upvote 0
Back