wiring a heater?

scubaD

Non-member
I have a heater with a shot thermostat. I cut off the thermostat. I am presented with 4 wires running to the heating element. The intent is to wire it to be always on when plugged in and connect it to an external controller. How do I wire it. There are 2 red wires (positive?), 1 white wire (negative?), and 1 black wire (ground?). I have a grounded plug that I am trying to wire it to. I initially thought bind the two red wires together, but now that isn't working and the more I think about it the less sense it makes. With the two red bound together the circuit would never be closed. Should I leave one red by itself and bind the other red wire to the white wire. That would permanently close the circuit I think. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
David

One red is most likely for the sensor in the thermostat and possibly the black is the negative for it. Which would leave a red and white, which could be hot and neutral. The problem is that in th world of AC, black is a hot lead and in DC it is ground. The only way you will know for sure is to break out a meter and test it all out.

Thanks Steve, I already blew it. Literally. Plugged it in, went pop, a little black gunk came out of the heater itself and a few air bubbles, popped the GFI, and made it not resettable. So new project, need a new GFI outlet in the kitchen.:(

actually the black would be hot and white is neutral and the 2 reds are for the sensor. You would only need to use the black and white wires.
But I guess its too late for that now. Sorry

Thanks, next time perhaps. Turns out I don't need a new GFI, never mind the fact that I already bought one. Just tripped the breaker. reset the breaker, reset the GFI, all working fine now. But I did blow up the heater and it has ended up in the trash.

So the thermostat on the other one has stopped turning on the element, so I have a second chance to convert. This is a finnex with an analog control dial. sensor built into element. 4 wires, 2 red, 1 black, 1 white running from element to controller. So really no ground on the element? Just black hot and white neutral, ignore the reds. That is easy enough. please confirm.

If you have an ohm meter you would be able to check. You should see some resistance between the black and white wires. There should be no resistance (open circuit) between all other combination of wires. This would be the only real way to confirm.

My electrical background is telling me that the Black is "Hot", white is "neutral", and the 2 reds would be the sensor (ingnore for this purpose).

Also the black and white wires should be a larger gauge wire. This would also confirm that the 2 reds are for the sensor.

Thanks Jennifer. You were right on. I did test with my ohm meter first and it was as you said. Wired it up, tested it out in a cold container of water. Worked. Hooked it to my Ranco controller and it worked like a charm. Oh, and all 4 wires were the same gauge for anyone else doing this. Thanks again.

Back