wiring fish room?

PRTA79

Non-member
how many recepticles do you guys have in your basement fish rooms?
also how many seperate breakers?
display tank will be upstairs on seperate circut also.

im thinking 1-15amp/gfi dedicated for 2 mak4 pumps

and 1-20amp w/8-12 gfi recepticles split on both sides of room

Haha I was just having the same problem, I have maybe three 2-outlet sets, and I just branch those off. Almost 4 years, and no blown circuits. :)

If it were me, I would add a third circuit, if you have the space in your panel. I'm glad I did.

I have 3 - 4 outlet boxes all on 2 - 20 amp GFI circuits. One circuit is just for the ACIII; so if my GFI ever trips due to apparatus failure, the ACIII will still function and notify me. I placed one 4 outlet (same circuit) on each side of the room because cords are short on pumps. My tank upstairs is on another GFI 20 amp dedicated circuit.

I placed one 4 outlet (same circuit) on each side of the room because cords are short on pumps.

This is actually not a bad thing, I deal with it in AV equipment, actually the longer the cord the more draw a piece of equipment will use. If you have a piece of equipment that uses the same power cord as a PC look at Middle Atlantic they make them in all sorts of lengths and are fairly cheap.

I run 3 circuits in mine 4 for a very large system.
1-dedicated heat (these are most likely to trip so even if your not maxing out the load it's best to keep other equipment off it)
2-lighting (generally second largest draw, watch your numbers but it's probably to add some misc outlets on this one)
3-main pump and misc equipment (be sure to have another pump/PH on another circuit in case this one trips)

As far as number of outlets....LOTS. Better too many than those pesky multiplying plug strips that seem to find their way into every set up.

Like Marc said......

Three down, 1 up.

I run my skimmer and return pump on 1 circuit.
Lighting and misc on the second
Heat on the third.

All 3 are on generator backup, and soon, the pump and skimmr will be on UPS too, so power won't be interrupted between the time NStar goes out, and my generator auto-starts.

i finished basement last night

1-15a basement dedicated for main pump and 1 heater.
im going to add battery backup on a relay switch, so when power is lost i will still have return and 1 heater for a few hours

1-20a basement 4 daul gang gfi, all wired to trip
individually for 2-heaters ,skimmer,1-250w/mh,
5 maximods?,and calcium reactor.

Back