Working with glass, building a tank

Leroy

Pres. NE Matchcover Club
Just spoke with a good friend I worked with in the glass business with 18 yrs experience and informed me that the cost for Starfire glass is only a 15% extra (his cost) as compared to regular 3/8 glass to build my next tank, no less than 180 gal. I think I got him thinking since regular residential and commercial glass installation has slowed down for him. Wouldn't that be something to get back to the glass business for custom tanks along with specialty vivariums and terrariums. Custom shower enclosures as well.

It would be great to have someone like this as a resource to cut glass for people.

Only problem is, starphire is weaker, so you need a thicker pane.

It would be great to have someone like this as a resource to cut glass for people.

Only problem is, starphire is weaker, so you need a thicker pane.
Benny the glass cutter is the best I've ever worked with as far as his knowledge working with glass, cutting and drilling holes on all types of glass and acrylic work. If it's required a thicker glass then it would be ordered and assembled for a quality tank. His van is equipped to transport all sizes of glass as well as tanks. It's all a matter of how well the economy is doing for the demand of glass repair as well as windshield replacements.

You sir, are a wealth of little tidbits. I have never heard this. Good to know. :)

its due to the low iron content of starfire glass.
I believe manufacturers normally recommend you go up a size when using low iron glass.

definitely would be nice to have someone local building tanks,it seems now AFY are no more there are not too many options on the east coast.

Back