Worst you've seen your water paramaters?

hmmm. the worst I've done is 40 or 50 ppm at one point for nitrates when my skimmer crapped out on my FOWLR (before I converted it to a reef).

The other big number I hit was 15 for alk once. I don't know how nothing died. I forget what the calcium reading was that day.

Wow, how do you get numbers like that? I totally ignore my system for months and all that will happen is a high normal alk and low normal ca?

I did have my mg hanging around 1000 for a few yrs, but that's what happens when you skimp on buying all the usual test kits :)

I'm not really sure on my worst readings, but in reccent yrs I can ID a few trends in my system, which has auto top off and both Ca and Kalk reactors. (I do recall seeing Ca drop to near 350 with alk at about 12 and mg at @ 1000 sometime in the past two yrs, but that's the worst I can think of?).

*with my set up, without any supplementation or adjustments, alk tends to climb slowly and Ca tends to decline a tiny bit.
*obviously SG will slowly decline due to skimming, but that's also a slow process.
*my mg steadily declines, not fast, but not all that slow compared to other parameter changes.
*if I see a diatom bloom for no reason, It's quite consistently that my DI cartridge is in need of replacement. (I don't have any silicate tests to back this up, but I've seen it over and over. Diatoms bloom, I replace DI, diatom bloom ceases?)

jk

well last week i had

KH 15.6
CA 400
ph 8.4 lights on

now it's high but in a safe range

KH 10.6
CA 410
ph 8.15 lights on.

I had bumped the dosage for a week after i got an 8" clam not really knowing how much more KH/CA it was going to use, apparently not that much.

Last edited:
Wow, how do you get numbers like that? I totally ignore my system for months and all that will happen is a high normal alk and low normal ca?

jk

I was adding straight dowflake without testing, wasn't adding enough alk supplement, and wasn't adding any mg supplement.

Now to raise alk and mg and let ca drop.

Back