wow, cloud of baby crabs

conrad

Non-member
I lost the fish in my 5.5 nano the other week to ich, and decided I'd leave it fish free for a while. So I got a pregnant pom pom crab at Skipton's last weekend. I hadn't seen her for the past few days until she crawled out from the deep interior of one of the rocks tonight. She climbed up on top of it and started letting her babies go. She was sort of helping them along with two of her legs.

I couldn't believe the cloud that that seemingly tiny ball of eggs made. My cleaner shrimp started going nuts, even though I'd just fed him. I even gave him some tobiko which he loves, but I think he liked the baby crabs even more. I snarfed up a bunch with a brine shrimp net and put them in my new fuge for the 29. Who knows, maybe some of these might make it in one tank or the other.

I checked one out under a magnifying glass and it looked pretty cool. I took some pictures of the event, but my camera is only a few days old and I haven't had a chance to read the manual, so I'm not sure what I got. I'll post in the photography forum if I have anything good.

I also noticed this morning that I have nassarius snail egg pods all over the 5.5 nano. They're in lines, with pods every inch or less. I think there are at least two distinct lines, with slightly different spacing. Each pod has about half a dozen eggs in it. I don't know what I'm going to do when those pop.

Should I be worried about all these new things in such a small tank?

--cn

OK, I just figured out how to resize and post pics, so pics are in the photography forum.

--cn

Back