Xenia fingers turning white?

stingythingy45

BRS Member
A few of the waving hands on the pulsing xenia seem to be shriveling and turning white.Maybe 2-4 on each stem.I thought it might be getting nipped by something or possibly got stuck in the powerhead but now i'm not so sure.
I have an HOB(Aquaclear 50) in the area that I run carbon and PURA pads.
Also,not sure if there's too much flow.It's a 55 gallon with 2 MJ 1200s and a Koralia #1.The rock that the xenia is mounted on is seperate from the other LR and has yellow polyps,ricordea at the base and I noticed one green palp near the top of the rock.Has anyone had this happen and found what might be the problem?Thanks in advance for any help....:)

My parameters are.

1.026 SG
9 DKH
400 ppm Calcium
Temp. 79 deg.
0 trate
0 trite
0 am

Oh a happier note I seem to have beaten the cyano in this 3 month old 55 gallon.:)
Every three days I reached right in,rolled it up like a carpet and scooped it out.:p..I also added more powerheads and that PURA pad in the HOB a while back.I'm thinking about removing the PURA pad.I read that Phosphate pads like that can cause trouble with xenia and mushrooms.

The yellow polyps might be stinking the xenia. I noticed when my mushrooms expand out and touch my yellow polyps they kind of shrink back with a white outline.

No kidding?....wow
What started out as 3 yellow polyps has turned into 7-8 in about 3 months.
They sure are petty and add a lot of color.
It's possible that when the xenia droops down it might reach their area.
One thing I'm definitely learning from this hobby is sometimes what you expect is not always the answer or solution.
Example:
I had some rhodactis mushrooms that started doing badly.Their mouths started gaping on a few and they turned white and started to melt.
I figured it was the lighting and that the tank would settle in after a while.
Turns out that when I added more flow to the tank(thinking this would finish off the mushrooms for sure)they began to thrive again.:rolleyes:

not sure about the xenia but the pura pads did have a negative effect on my mushrooms, so I'm in the process of adding a phos reactor

I unplugged the HOB with the PURA pads and carbon last night.
My cyano problem that I had is gone.(tank is about 3 months old)
I honestly can't believe how fast it went.I also have 2 MJ 1200s and a Korlia #1 for flow.
I hear that running a HOB is not really need in a SW tank as I have a CPR Bak Pak 2 running 24/7.But I might keep it handy to clean the water some or run carbon if need be.Also read that temp spikes can cause problems with xenia.The tank did get up to 82 one of those warm days.I usually run it at 79 deg.

1) 82 probably didn't hurt anything in the tank

2) It's unlikely that removing carbon and PURA filtration made your cyano go away.....

3) Xenia is sensitive to alk swings. I know you are at 9 now, but has your Alk been stable?

1) 82 probably didn't hurt anything in the tank

2) It's unlikely that removing carbon and PURA filtration made your cyano go away.....

3) Xenia is sensitive to alk swings. I know you are at 9 now, but has your Alk been stable?

1) Yeah,it got to 82 maybe for a couple days...no higher.
But I have read where high temps. can cause xenia to do what they do in the wild.Melt down then disappaer for a while only to return again.

2)No,I actually believe the PURA pad and carbon helped.Just thought I would shut it down for now as the cyano is all but gone.I've also read where phosphate contol media effects mushrooms.Figured I would remove that from the suspects for now.

3) My alk. always seems to stay very stable.I dose ESV 2 part on that side of the tank.First I pour in the alk buffer #1 and then the calcium #2.Maybe I should pour it in on a different side than where the xenia is.I pour them directly into a powerhead stream and they disapate quickly.

Running carbon long term will help your water purity. I'd turn it back on. I run either carbon or purigen in both tanks.....

Back