Yasha goby

I've had several. They are by far my favorite shrimp Goby but are hands down the most difficult to keep. They are very skittish and require absolutely peaceful tank mates. They're also extremely good at jumping out of tanks. A lid is a most. The first one I had, lasted about two years before it jumped out of the tank and died. Careful selection is critical. They're often in poor shape and skinny. Because they're so skittish, feeding may be difficult. Brine shrimp naupuli and very small eggs and arcticpods seemed to be favorites.

I had the best luck with a tank raised fish (sometimes available but very expensive). He was in much better shape, was less nervous, and ate easily. He became quite bold when I was able to find a female (Yasha's are one of the few gobies you can sex) and they paired up. That lasted for about 3 years until the female was stung by an aipstasia or coral and died. The male went berserk, refused to eat and spent most of the day swimming up and down the corners of the aquarium. That lasted for about a week or two until he jumped out of my (small mesh covered) tank while I was at work.

In total, the longest run was about 4 years. Compared to my Tangaroa goby that lived for close to 14 years and the candy cane shrimp partner that was at least 20.

Probably the best way to keep them would be to get a mated pair + candy cane shrimp (their partner in the wild) in a lidded nano tank without other fish or aggressive inverts.

Got it, thanks for the intel man, greatly appreciated. I seen one at petco, didn’t buy him though, wanted to research him first. I was looking for a yellow watchman for my tiger pistol shrimp. I had a ywg and he just disappeared one day? He was easy to keep, ate the frozen mysis I feed my two clowns. The Yasha seems a lil more $, kinda cooler looking though. The symbiotic relationship they have is entertaining to watch I’m definitely buying one of them. Thanks again

2nd the jumping comment. Similar to tilefish. Make sure the lid is sealed. Also, if you have a mesh lid, they can jump and get caught in the mesh - not pretty.

I got one and I had a lid on the tank with a small gap at the back for one of the cords. It managed to jump through a 1/4" gap at the back of the tank into the filter chamber and then jumped out within 2 days of getting him.

Back