YASQ - (yet another skimmer queston)

SaltCreep

Non-member
As I continue in my attempt to build my own skimmer, I am getting to the point where I have to decide on internal flow.

My question is, on these super new skimmers, do they all have a circular internall waterflow or is the trend towards calm non-turbulent columns of water?

Sorry if this belongs in the "do it yourself" forum.:eek:

As I continue in my attempt to build my own skimmer, I am getting to the point where I have to decide on internal flow.

My question is, on these super new skimmers, do they all have a circular internall waterflow or is the trend towards calm non-turbulent columns of water?

Sorry if this belongs in the "do it yourself" forum.:eek:

its all about contact time.
the more time the air (bubbles) have to contact a specific volume of water, the more efficient it is.

low flow into the skimmer - high flow inside skimmer (produce bubbles/inject air)

hope that helps

Right right, I understand that part.

I just want to save some trial and error by copying what the pro's are doing.
I am assuming that manufacturers are doing extensive R+D into skimmer efficiency.

Looking at the newer super expensive skimmers it seems like nobody does the "cyclone" circular water flow anymore and I just wondered if that was really the case.

Last edited:
Right right, I understand that part.

I just want to save some trial and error by copying what the pro's are doing.
I am assuming that manufacturers are doing extensive R+D into skimmer efficiency..
I'd guess they do more marketing than they do R+D :rolleyes:

Looking at the newer super expensive skimmers it seems like nobody does the "cyclone" circular water flow anymore and I just wondered if that was really the case.

A few like buble king do some chamber seperation but i would guess its more for microbuble control on the exiting water more so than effeciency. It may play a small role in delivering the skimmate to the top, but most MFG seem to be focusing on buble size and dwell time.

Back