Yellow tang: but later a Powder blue?

Get a yellow tang knowing a PB tang is in the future?

• Total voters

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Here's the deal...
I have a 125 with a ~100g sump.
I have 4 reef safe wrasses, a royal gramma, and a blue damsel.

I want to get a reef safe trigger, and the last fish will be a powder blue tang.
Scott Michael says the PB tang should be the only surgeonfish in the tank.

I'd like to get a yellow tang, and make that the next fish.
What do you think?
Get the Yellow - it'll be okay with a future PB tang, or don't even try it if I'm set on the PB tang?

Thanks.

moe you should be ok. they have differnet body types so it should not be a problem

FWIW Moe, I have had a PB Tang and Hippo in the same tank since January and they are both doing fine. Just add the PB Tang in there last.

it should be fine. add the pb tang last and do a little rearranging of the rocks. one is a Zebrasoma family and the other is an Acanthurus, so the shapes are different. i would not expect a whole lot of battle.

Moe I have a Yellow tang, a Hippo tang ang a Powder blue all in a 180 with no real problems just the odd arguement.

How about in a 4' (120) tank? WOuld the PBT and the YT get along ok?

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I wouldn't put a PBT in a 4' tank either. Mine zooms across the entire lenth of my tank all the time, and it is still only about 4".

I wouldn't put 2 tangs in a 4' tank, but I did put 2 in my 150 (6 ft).
They'll probably duke it out a bit and never fully get along, but they'll have a bit of respect for each other, eventually and keep their distances.
What I did to help a powder blue and a purple get along was split my tank in half (when it was still possible) with a clear sheet of plexi. Then after a week or so, I'd pull the plexi and let them dukle it out a bit. Then I'd put it back.
It seemed to be the best way to keep the beatings down to a minimum. After a few days, thay got along well.

Moe, when I got my YT from Ken, he had a PBT in there too....they got along fine, and he was in a 125

I think it depends on the individual fish. Just like people, they have their own personalities. IMO, if you are going to have more than one tang, you should add them together. I had a PBT for over a year when I decided to add a sohol to the mix. I thought they would be fine because they look completely different. I couldn't have been more wrong. The sohol had slashes up and down both sides of it's body within minutes of adding it to the tank. I got lucky and scooped the pbt out. I placed him in my fuge for a few days, reintroduced it, and all was well. The sohol is now the "king" of the tank. They have been together for over 2 years now. When I'm late with the nori, the pbt usually winds up getting slashed by the sohol. Other than that, they are fine. FWIW, they are in a 7' 210.

Back