yellow tang developing brown patches coming out of Hypo ???

mvallee

Non-member
After keeping my two fish, yellow tang and longhorn cowfish in Hypo for 7 weeks I started the process of bringing the salinity up on tuesday .002 at a time so I went from 1.009 to 1.011 tuesday and then thursday night went to 1.013.

today I noticed some discoloration on the tang on it's head and end of it's body to it's tail and flashing against the PVC. i did Hypo to get rid of ICH and not 100% sure i have gotten rid of it though I see no signs of it right now, last week I saw a white spec on the tang but it only lasted one day and could not be sure what it was. i figured time to bring them out anyways and if it was Ich either cupramine or Tank Transfer would be next

Any ideas what this could be? google is coming up with everything from internal bleeding to mood swings. could this be normal coming out hypo? should I stop raising hypo for a bit or keep going?
Still eating and the LH cowfish is doing great no signs of stress or distress.

I did do a full round of Prazi before hypo as well as he seemed to be darting around like he was being electrocuted and that stopped almost immediately with the Prazi
Couple lousy pics Hospital Tank has lousy lighting and had to remove sponge filter and pvc pipes to get pic of the little bugger stirring up the water a bit.

DSCF4312.jpgDSCF4314.jpg

Is it brown or could it be irritation from a bacterial infection which looks like bloodshot veins in him?

just put my reading glasses on to get a better look and looks brown like liver spots on a person

I noticed the same on my yellow tang when I did hypo at the beginning of the year. I noticed the same type of discoloration starting 8 weeks into treatment, researched it, and didn't come up with an answer. I wonder if anyone else has seen this with a yellow tang in hypo? At the time, I continued with hypo, and unfortunately my yellow tang died three weeks later. I attributed it to stress from the hypo, and maybe you stopping hypo will 'cure' the symptoms in your yellow tang.

The bad news is that your observation of the single white spec probably means your tank is not ich free, and something you need to deal with. From what I understand about ich, the danger is not the signs of the parasite you see externally, but from the parasite attacking the gill tissue and the one dot means it is still present. I noted the same thing (a single white spot on one of my green chromises) and had to restart the clock, and it took 12 weeks to complete the hypo treatment, which I seem successful (for the survivors) as my blue hippo (an 'ich factory') has not shown any ich symptom since. Although it seems failure of hypo treatment is often blamed on a hypo resistant strain of ich found off the coast of Taiwan, the chances of you having this strain (of over 30 known so far) are probably remote. Unfortunately, it just takes time to eradicate.

so much work to not be successful, hope it is just some discoloration he eats anything and everything and seems fine other than the discoloration so we'll see. coming out of hypo takes so long. then to figure out the next treatment for ICH.

Can you do cupramine? I think that is the best (in terms of results). If you are going to do that next try to fatten him up with good food and algae and some selcon and vitamins to help him through his journey :)

cuprmaine seems to be the most sure fire way and treats multiple maladies so that just may be the next step. It is amazing how much he eats and does not get fat but he is filled out nicely. he eats everything from seaweeds, flakes, clams on the half shell I put in for the LH Cow fish PE Mysis and brine all with added vitamin drops so fingers crossed he is still healthy.

Sounds like a good mix. Any chance he has internal parasites?

anything is possible I did a full round of prazipro right before Hypo which should have knocked them out, nothing strange with the poop either to indicate internal parasites. going to go up another .002 in sg today we'll see if he gets worse or maintains.
I thought the cowfish was going to be the tough one to keep but he is growing like crazy in the HT, eats everything and if possible even more friendly and curious. A little over 4 weeks till I can put them back in the DT can't wait.

try putting him in a quick freshwater dip , no more than 3-4 minutes , but have some others here confirm that before taking my advice . and are you raising salinity in the QT ? from my understanding I thought raising salt levels stresses the fish and makes it hard for them to breathe . Hypo is lower Hyper is higher . I could be wrong but check on it . If I am wrong then I learned something . hope everythinbg goes well

they have been in hypo for 7 weeks in a Hospital tank at 1.009 and raising .002 every 2 days until i hit a salinity 1.025. i will then observe for a period and hope all seem healthy before they go back in the main tank that has been running fallow for 12+ weeks at that point.

Just curious on the prazi, what do you mean by "round"? When I do it I need 3 rounds consisting of three days of straight prazi food then 4 days off, that's one round.

When you said he eats but doesn't get fat makes me think worms :)

good to know, I bumped up the salinity to 1.015 yesterday and he looks no worse today so I am hoping it clears up like you said

Back