Yellow Tang feeding help.

TomD

Non-member
I got my first tang, a yellow from a LA order on Tuesday.

It seems very healthy and looks great but is shy due to the new tank.

My concern is that he will not come near a nori sheet. He is eating some hair algae that was on some of the LR I purchased with the upgrade.

Is this normal not to eat for a few days? And, how often do you all put nori in? Every few days?

I feed my YT nori every day. If you say 'a sheet', how much are you putting in?

My YT came from another BRS members tank, he did not eat for the 1st few days in his new home. Man he had me fooled. PIG!

ITS pretty normal.
Ive had a number of YT's, all the same pretty much, few days he'll be eating like a pig.

My new YT eats everything, frozen mysis, blood worms, krill,a nd nori. He is a fat B2s3ard. Eats like a pig and poops like a horse. May need to add extra sanitaion workers to take care of it :D

Any pet store really. I got mine at Skitpons. I know Sea Creatures near you in Revere has some.

Tangs do not see Nori on clips in nature. It may take a month or so for himr to recognize it as food. You can soak it in Garlic if you want. Or just offer it daily will feeding a good veggie flake till he takes it. My YT took about 2 weeks before he started hitting it. 2 Yrs later he is a big ole tang.

I found that some yellow tang do not like nori from pet store but love the thin sheets of nori for sushi.

My YT loves sushi grade Nori and if he get an fatter he might become a Nori wrapped sushi :D Look for Asian market

They can be shy/skittish at first, I wouldn't be concerned about his not eating for at least a few days. Some members also say that they don't immediately recognize nori on a clip and that they have better success if they rubber band it to a rock (more natural looking to the fish).

Yellow tang is not hard to keep and give it some time to adjust to your tank.

Fomular II pellets will work great. I can give you some for free.

I just fed some Omega One Flakes soaked in garlic and he ate. Thanks for the offer Dong.

good to hear that. He will eat like a pig soon and he will eat anything...

I love my YT as common as they are I like to keep mine looking fat and show quality. At this point I could dip my cat in the tank and he would try and nip it to see if it was food. :)

Back