Feeding Yellow Tang and Black Clownfish

AC_Rhino

Non-member
I figured I would ask you guys what is best to feed a yellow tang and two black clownfish. They are all new to the tank and moving/getting around fine. The Tang is having a blast eating every bit of algae/seaweed in the tank but I know at some point that will run down and I want to be able to provide them all with a healthy diet.

I heard about putting a piece of sushi nori on a clip and setting that in the tank for them to pick at. I don't want to use nori that is covered in oil or salt ... and since you guys are all local like me can you suggest a brand I can find at a local store?

I'd also like to find a decent pellet or two that I can switch between ... I'm not sure if I need floating, sinking, or flake.

I assume the clownfish will eat whatever will fit in their face so as long as I provide a good diet for the tang that they will eat that too and supplement for them some frozen shrimp or the likes.

Any suggestions on feeding food types, amount to feed, and frequency to feed would be great. If you could be specific with brands (or links) and/or where to buy that would be great too.

I like the PE Mysis pellets and so do the fish.
Nori will be a good substitute algae and if you have a refugium you could get some red graciliara ( probably spelled wrong) and grow it and feed it when u trim it

Sanfransico bay has a algae mix. I think it is called emerald something or other. My tang and angel like it, and there is brine and other foods for the clown in the same cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure the yellow tang gets plenty of algae. I had one who ate like a pig but I went for awhile without getting him good veggies and his health definitely suffered despite eating lots of other good food.

I feed all my fish, over 100 of them, many tangs, fox face, clownfish, wrasse with NewLifeSpectrum marine pellets. All my fish are fat.

I like giving my fish 1x or 2x a week fresh clams / mussels / oysters. I just purchase from the grocery story... They love it but it does take a few times for them to remember / figure out how to eat fresh food.

So I found some roasted 100% seaweed (no oil no salt) and hung it in the tank by my algae scrapper. The clowns could have cared less but after a little while the tang went full retard on it ... it was funny. I had to pull it out after a few minutes though because it started to break up and float around. I will remember to use less next time.

How do you prepare the fresh clam/mussels? just dice them up? Do they make a mess of the tank?

I'm going to pick up some of the NLS pellets as well ... they don't like the ones I have ... but the clowns are pigs and will eat most anything.

I believe the nori is just dried not roasted and it might take them a while to figure it out. You could try rubber banding it to a rock for a more natural approach

Back