Yellow tang with a hippo...

mason90

Non-member
So I was thinking about adding a yellow tang to my tank it's a 90 gal with 5 cromas, hippo tang, Christmas wrasse, 2 black clowns, 2 pajama cardinals the has seemed to stop growing much at 2-3 inches I really want another tang... Let me know what ya think.

there is a good chance they will fight, likely not to the death, but enough to stress the tang and get ick

(I did this years ago)

I have a 72 and had a small hippo and a large sailfin tang and had no problems. All fish are different and when it comes to tangs your always taking a chance, Especially with Yellow tangs.

I wouldnt chance it. More than likely they will fight a lot and cause one or the other or both to come down with ich if its present in your tank. I dislike when my tank isnt in harmony regarding the fish and their aggressiveness so I wouldnt do it.

make sure thats the last tang you want to put in your tank because he will dominate the tank and kill anything else you put in. i would make sure you have an odd amount of tangs. i have 3 yellows and there fine.

the varying opinions are interesting IMO

I agree.
I think different situation result in different reactions,Frank.
I put the Hippo in as my last fish.The hippo was about the size of a half dollar at the time and the YT was about 3 1/2 in. long.
They have little spats once in a while,but get along most of the time.They even work together to rip up nori and share it.

i have a hippo and sailfin and yellow tang in 1 tank my sailfin and yellow fought a bit but getting a lil better as we go :)

Attachments

• tangs.jpg
    tangs.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 564
Yea idk there are very diff opinions not sure if I wanna risk it the hippo has been in the tank for about 8 months... Is there any other tang that anybody thinks would be a better addition? I just kinda want 2 but if it's to risky I don't wanna do it

the varying opinions are interesting IMO

I think a lot of it has to do with how different people are interpeting tang behavior. I suspect that a lot of reefers tend to figure that if they don't see actual fighting then the fish are getting along just fine.

My take on it is that the fish not fighting is kind of like seeing crips and bloods in the same negiborhood but no gunshots. Doesn't mean that they are all at peace....

I had a Hippo Tang and a Hawaiian Yellow tang in the same tank for several years. It was a 220 gallon tank with a 175 gallon sump. They were a bit territorial, but didn't seem to bother with one another. They do get very large. My Hippo tang got so big that he started moving corals around with this teeth if he didn't like where I put them.

Tom Oceanguy

I had my yellow tang in first and added a smaller hippo well after and they fought for about 2 days now they swim together and feed together. No problems whatsoever. Good luck

Back