Your favorite tang?

clamm

Nothing to nobody
Everyone has their favorite whats yours. I am only going to have 1 tang in my 92 and am debating what it will be. This is still a month or 2 down the road, but its friday, im bored so I thought Id see what everyone liked.

I like powder blues, hippos, and powder browns...

Pretty funny coming from a guy whose screen name is 'clamm' ;-)

Maybe this thread belongs in the lounge?

I have a Powder blue and a Naso housed in a 180. The powder blue is a little aggressive though. I've had both of them for over a year with no problems. I also like the Powder browns. I've tried Achilles Tangs in the past but had problems with ick. They beautiful fish but are ick magnets IMO.

Last edited:
I still love powder blue tangs. They are also one of the smallest tangs, but one of the more aggressive, especially in smallish confines.

Other favorites: powder brown tangs, red sea sailfins, naso literatus. There are tremendous differences in the coloration of fish; not so much the patterns or anything, but intensity and whatnot. One of the most beautiful fish I've seen in the past year was a powder brown at Skipton's a while back.

Naso's get big, big, big. I'd say your best bet is an Acanthurus or certain Zebrasoma. Either way, I'd recommend adding them last or close to last as many of those guys tend to bully new fish, especially in a tank that size.

I it weill be either a powder blue or brown, but either way will be last fish in tank.

Due to Scott Michael's minimum tank size recommendation, I think you should go w/ the powder brown, Casey.

My favorite tangs though are the clown and the powder blue, and yes: the common yellow. In that order.

When I was in Hawaii we saw Yellow tangs all over.. I didn't realize how big they can get.. I will never have one now after seeing them in the wild. Some of the ones I saw were a good 15-18"

It a 92 corner, you need to get a small one and be ready to trade when he gets too large for the tank.

Achilles tangs are surf fish and like a lot of water moverment, high oxygen content. We can tell which one of our Tunze's are on, the achilles is usally body surfing in the flow. In the 4 months, I have not seen a spot of Ick on him, and has about doubled in size. Now my favorite fish in the tank - very good citizen.

Mini4x said:
When I was in Hawaii we saw Yellow tangs all over.. I didn't realize how big they can get.. I will never have one now after seeing them in the wild. Some of the ones I saw were a good 15-18"

Yep! I saw a school of Kole tangs in the Hawaii water. They all are over a foot long.

My favor tang is black tang.

I also like the powder blue. I have a purple tang with really great color. He was one of my first fish, and back then we named them. We call him "Poon"

Back