Your Imput needed!!

Thanks for all the great info!! Is there anyone willing to show off their tank? Hands on always works best for me.

I'm around 40 miles away, I have a 72 gallon bow with 20 gallon sump, and a 30 gallon breeder with 30 gallon sump ;)

My tanks aren't as wonderful looking as they have been in the past, due to bad luck :)

I'm not sure how far I am from you but I have a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refugium and a 30 gallon sump. As well as a 65 gallon tank with a 30 gall sump, although that's in the process of being plumbed and set up.

Note: They are a little more pleasing to look at than Ryan's (Piscevore) tank... :D

Daragon said:
I'm not sure how far I am from you but I have a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refugium and a 30 gallon sump. As well as a 65 gallon tank with a 30 gall sump, although that's in the process of being plumbed and set up.

Note: They are a little more pleasing to look at than Ryan's (Piscevore) tank... :D

And by pleasing adam means he has more plastic fish than I do, that you can admire (on his wall)

note: the only fish he currently has.. ;)

Piscevore said:
And by pleasing adam means he has more plastic fish than I do, that you can admire (on his wall)

note: the only fish he currently has.. ;)

LOL So very much true.... LOL!!!!!

Daragon said:

Mostly because you don't have ryan standing next to you. ;)

You should definitely visit a number of tanks before setting yours up. It'll give you a much clearer picture of what you're trying to do, and save you time and money.
You're welcome to visit my tank if you're up in this area. I have a 65g tank with 55g sump in the basement.

As for all the advice your getting I agree with most of it. If cash is tight while you're starting up, I'd recommend passing on a refractometer, digital thermometer and digital pH meter. They're useful but not essential.

A watermaker is a very good investment, but you can also make do with smaller tanks by buying RODI water from an LFS if there's one nearby. Don't use tap water.

The best place for used equipment is right here on BRS in my experience. Prices are lower than anywhere else, and in general the users are very helpful and trustworthy.

Personally, I'd drill your tank, and set up a sump. You can avoid it, but you'll wish you hadn't in a few months. Even small setups are greatly improved with a sump.

For a skimmer, take a look at the ones that Jeremy sells at Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk. They have a great price, and look good to me.

Cheers, Nate

Last edited:
The most two important parts of a reef tank are the lights and the skimmer. Get a slightly oversized skimmer for your tank. Check out AquaC Remora for a skimmer. Also depending on your budget buy the best light setup you can afford, and your electrical box will support. I just have 4 96w pc's, so I am unable to have the reef of my dreams in my 55gal. Damn metal halides are sure exspensive....any dual 250's for sale anyone.....hehehe

Rick

If you don't have a skimmer you might as well just put a lizard or a turtle in the tank...

Thanks for all your help.... I am going to take some road trips and look around at different tanks setups... also looking up different equipment. my aquarium journel is really starting to grow with all the helpful information. I hope to see you all at the next meeting in Raynham.. If not sooner... that way I can put a face with message...

starrfish said:
First of all...WELCOME! You are about to embark on the best hobby in the universe. :D There are a lot of great points above, but since you asked specifically about a sump, here's a great thread from Reef Central that explains everything you ever wanted to know about a sump. Happy reading...

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

What a great thread... kept things very simple..thank you for sharing..

So Far I am thinking....

So far with all of your help...I am reading more, planning more, I am going to look for a bigger tank with a stand that can hold a sump and everything under it. I am wishing now that I had a basement.. :( My poor husband...this all started when our 19 year old brought home 2 gold fish and now look where I am.... :D If he only knew what he knows now!!!!

melana said:
this all started when our 19 year old brought home 2 gold fish and now look where I am.... :D If he only knew what he knows now!!!!

I can totally relate to that... my hobby/addiction/madness restarted (I had kept fish as a kid) when my wife suggested we should get a small tank for our kid's room... she had a 5 gallon in mind, I got a 40g (freshwater)... and less than a year later I got the 75g reef :)

Nuno

Back