zoa eating nudi treatment protocol? Anyone got a good link?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Title says it. Finding mixed reccomendations with a quick net search.

Looking for a good summary of the treatment options for zoa eating nudis to pass along to someone having an issue..... Anyone got a good link or two?

supposedly, FWE at about 4x the dose will do the trick... treat a couple times, inspect for the eggs during and following treatment... seems to be the consensus imo

levamisole hci wipes them out in a dip on newly acquired specimens.....(no tank treatment with that as I know u r aware of that, JJ)

Here's something on using an overdose of FW exit
http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

i have learned so much about these things since your thread started last night, even though i posted the first 2 links... i jus never looked into these before... nasty little buggers...

that link is some great readiing john, thank you for posting it here as well...

i am sure we can keep this going for anyone else who made be in need of this info from time to time, and perhaps we can help them too... this could turn into a really good, info sharing thread concerning one heck of a pest that no one wants any part of... ;)

I never really read up on them much before either. Sigh of relieif though, I really hate flatworms so I have been doing a 5-10x dose of FWE in my dipping process on any new corals for years anyway, little did I know :)

i also use FWE as well as coral rx pro on my new additions... i also keep interceptor on hand and grab some every chance i get jus to have in case... on occasion, i use FWE on my display jus for good measure, as well as keep a sixline wrasse who is not fed, but is plenty fat and happy... knock on wood, i have never had any problems whatsoever... again, knocking on wood as i am dipping the hell outta all new additions... LoL

BTW John, your avatar is one of the best i have seen :)

LOVE IT LOL

I did the FWE treatment for zoa eating nudis. I upped the recommended dosage by about 2X and treated once, waited 4 or 5 days, and then again. After a couple of weeks I saw a few more so I repeated the dosage at about 3X the recommended dosage waited 4 or 5 days and then treated again. Some of my corals looked super pissed during the process as well as my feather dusters and coco worm, but everything survived. I can't prove it, but it seemed like my pod population was drastically reduced at about the same time as the treatments, but I am not sure that the two events are related.

I tried to avoid treating the tank with the FWE by siphoning them out and trying to remove any eggs that I saw but they just kept coming back. I didn't have the ability to take out rocks to thoroughly scrape off the eggs and dip the colonies as the colonies were on the rocks that hold up my entire rock work. FWE was the last resort and it was successful.

I did the FWE treatment for zoa eating nudis. I upped the recommended dosage by about 2X and treated once, waited 4 or 5 days, and then again. After a couple of weeks I saw a few more so I repeated the dosage at about 3X the recommended dosage waited 4 or 5 days and then treated again. Some of my corals looked super pissed during the process as well as my feather dusters and coco worm, but everything survived. I can't prove it, but it seemed like my pod population was drastically reduced at about the same time as the treatments, but I am not sure that the two events are related.

I tried to avoid treating the tank with the FWE by siphoning them out and trying to remove any eggs that I saw but they just kept coming back. I didn't have the ability to take out rocks to thoroughly scrape off the eggs and dip the colonies as the colonies were on the rocks that hold up my entire rock work. FWE was the last resort and it was successful.

When you say 2X, and later 3X dose, do you mean 2-3X the reccomended FW exit dose for treating FWs, or do you mean 2-3X the 4x dose suggested for treating zoa eating nudis? In other words, you you mean you went with 2 then 3 drops per gallong, or do you mean you went with 8, then 12 drops per gallon?

I can't remember what the recommended dosage on the FWE box was, but lets say it was X/gallon. I did 2X/gallon and then 3X/gallon.

If I had to do it again I think I'd do 2X dosage 3 times with 4-5 days b/w each treatment. I don't think the reason they came back weeks later in my tank was because of a weak dosage, but rather just not catching the new nudis as they hatch and leaving some unhatched eggs in there.

Here's something on using an overdose of FW exit
http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

As per the link quoted above, it has been suggested that at 4x the "reccomended dose" of FW exit is/might be effective for killing the nudis. Assuming that is correct, then the 2-3X dose acheiving a parital kill would seem consistent with the idea that 4X or higher dose might be nearly effective or even fully effective.

i have no experience with the nudi's but i always go about 4x the suggested treatment of FWE (salifert) if i use it in my system... again, this has become an incredibly helpful thread :)

As per the link quoted above, it has been suggested that at 4x the "reccomended dose" of FW exit is/might be effective for killing the nudis. Assuming that is correct, then the 2-3X dose acheiving a parital kill would seem consistent with the idea that 4X or higher dose might be nearly effective or even fully effective.

True. However I ultimately conquered them with 3X so I guess you can't take the 4X dose as the set amount. I was suggesting less to limit the stress you put on your tank. Either way whatever works is all that matters.

I agree, it's all about figuring out what works.

I wasn't trying to imply you did something wrong, just seeking to clarify exactly what you did do.

They are very hard to see until you REALLY look for them. See the pics in the link in post #6 of this thread. Now imagine that nestled in between polyps of a zoa colony. Very sneaky little buggers....

I agree, it's all about figuring out what works.

I wasn't trying to imply you did something wrong, just seeking to clarify exactly what you did do.

No offense taken... They crappy part about them is that they look kinda cool when they change the color of the zoa that they are feasting on. That is until you see all your polyps closing up and dieing off and you realize that you'd rather have your brightly colored zoas than brightly colored nudis!

Back