50 Gallon Rimless Build

Intheflesh

Non-member
This journey began about 1.5 ago when I bought a 57 rimless to replace my 65 gallon (Jan '13). I brought it home, and realized I wanted to build a custom stand so I can fit all of my elctronics, sump and top off inside the stand. My plan was to build a 42x22x30 stand.

I ended up building 3 stands. The first a 2x4 that was extremely overbuilt. But ugly. Luckily I didn't have too much money into it, so I scrapped that plan.
Because "Time was of the essence" I decided I would rebuild using an ADA copy cat design. I put the basic frame together in the matter of hours. Then I slacked on finishing it. My garage/work station was about a mile away from apartment and I had little motivation to make a special trip there to work on the stand.

Spring became summer, summer became fall. Around last October-November, I decided to sell the 57 that started this whole process because I didn't like the dimensions anymore. In dec '13 I ordered a Reef octopus 50 gallon rimless. same foot print as the 57, just a little shorter.

So the tank comes, and with it, the motivation to finish the stand. I bring the tank home from my local fed ex freight port and realize some thing... there is a brace right where the overflow needs to be! At this point the stand is glued and screwed, and there wasn't much I could really do. So, we rebuild!

As you can see in the pic below, there is a vertical wall where the overflow needs to be. Crap. The stand was covered in a formica laminate, but had been peeled at this point.

attachment.php

The project begins around feb '14:

attachment.php

It got cold in the garage, so we moved indoors!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few more pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is my electronics cabinet:

attachment.php

At this point, I wasn't sure what the final product would look like. I wanted to stain it, but the wood didnt take the stain to nicely, so I ended up painting the whole thing with an eoxy paint. I figured this will keep everything nice an sealed

attachment.php

Last edited:
At this point in the game, life gets in the way again, because we are planning our move! My 65 gallon tank is still set up. My plan is to move the 50 gallon, as is to our new place, break down the 65, transfer the contents to the new tank, and sell tank.

So here we are as of last week:

attachment.php

I already have a thread going about the stand build. The first few posts were a recap of the stand build thread, but this thread will serve as the the journal for the tank updates.

I still need to finish the doors, and I have a great idea on how I will do it. I am going to have 4 (2 for front, 1 for each side) shaker style cabinet doors made, finished in a espresso black/brown stain to match the rest of the furniture. They will be flush mounted, so they will essentially be "faux" walls

Shaker-Trio.jpg

Here is my layout for my equipment:

20140624_061615.jpg

I am having a custom sump built by a local acrylics worker in Salem NH. Should be here either Friday or Monday or next week.

Pic of over flow. The reef octopus overflow system is pretty neat! you can plumb your RO top off directly into the return line:
20140624_061623.jpg

Here are my dosing containers, and electronics cabinet:
20140624_061633.jpg

Hopefully tonight I will have all of the electronics mounted and wired.

Equipment:
6 x39 watt ATI Powermodule. (2) ATI Coral plus, (2) Blue Plus, i forget the other 2
Itech 100 Skimmer, tunze power foam
(2) Jaebo WP25
250 watt titanium heater with remote thermostat
Reef Keeper lite
Ehiem 1260
Zeo reactor w/ sicce pump
Custom Sump

As a house warming gift, my niece bought me 2 fish for my tank. One is a black and white striped damsel (yes i know. but its from my niece. I can't say no); the other fish, I am not so sure of. They have been in the tank for about a week now, and have actually been pretty well behaved. He is the blue fish with the vertical white strip

20140625_201813.jpg

looking great
want to be like Reef in the Sky's tank? I believe that guy's tank does not have not many rocks in his tank and his system is UNLS with Zeovit. I have used Zeovit for many years, so if you need any help just pm me.

good luck

THanks!

Its kind of messy right now... but ultimately I want my stand and equipment to be uber clean... like Reef in the Sky's tank.

Last edited:
The blue fish with white strip is some kind of damsel too , I've had them and they have always become bullies lol,

looking great
want to be like Reef in the Sky's tank? I believe that guy's tank does not have not many rocks in his tank and his system is UNLS with Zeovit. I have used Zeovit for many years, so if you need any help just pm me.

good luck

Thanks. O plan on taking about 50% of the rock out of there. I am setting up a tank for my gf's father, and most likely be donating this rock.

I plan on doing Zeo for this tank. I've researched zeo for a good 6 months before jumping and buying my reactor. I have a basic 4 kit right now.
My sump should be in on Monday, and hopefully I can get that online soon.

The blue fish with white strip is some kind of damsel too , I've had them and they have always become bullies lol,

I figured it was some kind of damsel. I went on live aquaria for ref photos but didn't see anything.

Starting a small acan collection

uploadfromtaptalk1404165951900.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404165966119.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404165966119.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,752
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404165979890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404165979890.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,759
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404165991319.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404165991319.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,118
Need to figure out how to reduce the blue in the pic... In real life it's a lot more white

uploadfromtaptalk1404171478508.jpg

Here's a pic with the whites... better representation of the actual color

Tank looks real nice. Love the acan garden. Can't wait to see it in six months :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookin real good man, I would've been all set after stand number one didn't work out. Now give a few pics of that ferrari you got sittin in the garage pleeeease

ha, its been spotted. its a '95 F355.

From a few years ago up in the white montains somewhere:

62255_538707369242_1603351_n.jpg

Here are a few pics from when it had its engine out service last September:

P1290836.JPG

P1290839.JPG

P1300248.JPG

P1300492.JPG

Back