Advice For a Simple Tank for sexy shrimps.

Aluka

Non-member
Hi!

I am looking for a bit of advice on starting my first saltwater tank. The problem is I only want to keep a pair (maybe 2 pairs) of sexy shrimps. So I would like to start a nano/pico tank (which i know is a bad idea for a saltwater beginner), but i don't want to start a bigger tank and never seem them =(.

What would I need? It seems all the salty i have asked gave me different opinions. One that works at a UA's salt department even told me i should just keep them in a 3 gallon with an airstone! Which i feel like it doesn't sound right?...

I do want to keep them in a 3.5 gallon tank. I have an AC 70, that i was going to stuff with chaeto and hang a small LED light over it and use it as a refugium. The same friend that works at UA said its an useless idea. =(

I just want sexy shrimps, some live rocks, maybe 1 or 2 EASY soft corals =<... What do i need? I tried looking around but everything is so geared towards big tanks =<...

Thanks =)

All that works for the big tanks works for the pico. The issue is the scale. I will have the refugium as you suggested, a good small LED fixture and the most important Water Changes every week. Use PETCO Ocean Water and take daily care of topping the tank water with destilled water.

Of course, also Temperature control with a heater in the refugium. The refugium pump will provide water movement.

A liittle of sand, some small rocks, good light, wc every week and water movement and you are ready to go.

Get live sand and rocks fro the fish store and tank will cycle very fast.

Daniel

Last edited:
I have Nutri-seawater that i use to dilute for my brackish tank. That works too right? I have a ro filter, which i use for my fresh water shrimps. I planned on setting up a drip, that will very slowly drip ro water into the tank to make up for evaporation. My lfs sells both live rocks and live sand so that should be okay.

What should i look for in lighting? I have 2 http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/deep-blue-solarflar-micro-suction-mount-goosneck-led-6700k-daylight.html and a http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/deep-blue-solarflar-micro-suction-mount-gooseneck-led-460nm-actinic-blue.html

I was going to use the 6700k one for the refugium, what kind of light should i look for, for the actual tank?

Take a look to the 12" strip from truelumen or ecoxotic. Buy one with blue/white and another blue. I have those in my 14G and 12G tank and they are doing great (I have the Pro, not the strips, but your 3,3G tank will be OK with the strips)

No idea about that water. I was reading in internet and looks to be good but looks it is more expensive than the PETCO Ocean water.

Good luck .........my experience is not big in nano (just 8 months). So I do no want to tell you something that could not work. Wait to see what others say and read a lot in internet.

Have you visited nano-reef.com ?

cheers
Daniel

Back