Advice on curing live rock and ammonia

Vinman75

Non-member
Got Live rock from MArco Rocks (great looking rock which I love!)and have been curing in my empty tank for three weeks. HAve had two powerheads going for good water movement and the protein skimmer going as well. Been doing 20% water changes one to two times a week. PRoblem is I sill have a low level of Nitrite and ammonia whne I test. Am I being impatiant thinking should be cycled sooner? Friend said I tun o the MAgnumn 350 filter and biowheel to help promote good bacteria and will lower the Nitrite and Ammonia but have heard other wise as well. Any thoughts?

I always thought that you shouldn't run the skimmer when cycling as it removes food that the beneficial bacteria needs to increase in population. Also the water changes aren't helping you cycle any sooner probably. I'd leave it alone and just check the parameters. You should have seen the ammonia peak then nitrite develop. As nitrite levels rise the ammonia will drop and eventually the nitrite will peak as well and start to drop. Then you should be seeing nitrate levels rising. After you only can detect nitrate then I'd do a 20% water change and start adding livestock slowly. Have you checked any of these parameters in the past three weeks? Unfortunately this hobby requires lots of patience but if you can stand it then the rewards are much greater.

ok, I thought the skimmer was supposed to be going as to help clean any of the debris that come of the curring rock and take it out of the water, that was the reason I had it running I guess will turn off. That means only rock and powerheads going in the tank?

there's no harm in running the skimmer,,,it helps get the crap out of the water.

Lots of flow, good skimming, lots of flow, frequent water changes, lots of flow, good skimming.. you get the idea. :cool: You don't need the Magnum and a Biowheel for curing rock, trust me.

Where's marc in this disussion? He's the rock expert. I think there was a link on his website or his section on here that explains cycling I can't post the link because my phone won't let me but check it out

Back