black paint advices for salt water tank

tran

Non-member
hi all,

I am planning to paint my 57g tank black this weekend.
was wondering what paint I should use.
What do people use for paint? I've read spray paint can work...
should I buy the spray can paint or regular roll paint and how many cans?
any advices would greatly help.

thanks

Last edited:
I painted a 20g a few months ago. I bought a quart (probably only used half) of enamal paint and used a small sponge roller. It will take several coats, but wasn't difficult. Just make sure to ventilate.

I used enamal v. latex b/c when latex gets wet it runs b/c it is water based.

Used roll on v. spray b/c less fumes, and I didn't want to chance anything getting on the inside of the tank.

Good Luck.

I want to add to my question. do the paint need to be Rust-Oleum and why? I see alot of these type of paint at home depot/lowes as well as at waltmart. Do we need to mix with any finish such as semi-gloss, gloss, flat...etc
thanks

I just used Rust-Oleum because it was recommended to me by another person. As far as mixing with other finishes, it comes in semi-gloss, gloss, flat, and a few others so you don't need to mix it with anything.

thanks Reefresh
thanks Aurizzle

any advices on the finishes part of it? (flat, gloss, semi-gloss..etc).

thanks

I didn't think semi-gloss would look good. I felt like it might be too reflective off the back of the tank so I went with flat.
If you look at my picture ion the introduction section, you'll see the back painted on my tank and that was flat.

There was a guy on here recently that used 1% limo window tint from walmart and it looks awesome and I guess is really easy to install.

Please correct me if I was wrong. The paint needs to be oil base?

Thanks

Nah, I used latex enamal on several tanks, cheap Walmart stuff and a roller. Just let it dry a few days and it won't come off. Oil based paints are on the way out because of the VOCs.

Yea I used 1% limo tint on the back of my 75g. It's super easy and it gives the back of the tank a flat look it matches the overflow cover perfect. Makes it blend in real nice.

Back