Can you readily answer these questions?

Are you vigilant in monitoring your tank parameters?

• Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • Don't know/not that compulsive

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Lam

aka Auberon
I'm just curious how vigilant you are about your tank parameters. Can you answer what your alkilinity/calcium/SG/temperature/pH levels if I asked you NOW?

Mine are:

Alk=9.2 last measured yesterday
Ca=440 last measured 3 days ago
S.G.=1.025 last measured 1.5 weeks ago
temp=78-79 checked daily
pH=8.0-8.2 checked daily
Mg=1350 checked yesterday

Tested yesterday (have been testing only once a week since I setup and tuned the calcium reactor) :

alk = 12.0
Ca = 450
s.g. = 1.026
temp = 82 - 84
pH = 7.9 - 8.2
Mg = 1275 (this is a bit low for my taste, I'll correct soon)
nitrate = 0.2

Nuno

I don't measure that often, once every two weeks or so...I can tell if something is wrong by looking at the tank...If I am testing regularly it is because I tweeked something...when things are set up, and I am doing water changes every two-three weeks, I don't find the need to check the parameters...JMO

Jason

I was checking alk and calcium every couple days when I was setting up the calcium reactor. But now I'm back to, if it looks good, leave it alone.

just tested

just got home tested alk,ca,ph
changed water past sunday
temp=morning78.5 now80.2
alk=10
ca=460
ph=8.2-8.4
sg=1.025
nitrate=0
ammo=0

I watch the critters in the tank, but I do check alkalinity at a minimum every two weeks or so. Calcium about once a month, Mg about once every two. If I see something wrong with any of the critters then I start testing more often. A lot of it depends upon how intensive your tank is. If my calcium reactor stopped functioning, my 110 SPS system would have major problems in 3 days.

Kevin McG said:
Tested yesterday

temp=79.2
PH=1.025
Ammonia=0
nitrites=0
nitrates=0
ph=8.2
alk=7

pH level was recorded as 1.025. Please confirm measurement. Result is out of accepted range. Should "PH" be changed to "Specific gravity?"

Sorry, work invades this thread.

Daragon said:
I don't think I ever tested my tank, Jango may have tested it a couple of times...

Your right, I don't think you have and I want to test it again before we move it... :p

temp=79.0
PH=8.2
Ammonia=0
nitrites=0
nitrates=0
SG=1.025
alk=13.9
Ca=390
Mg=1250
ORP=375

tests as of 1.5 days ago

Thanks for all the responses. It was interesting for me to note a few things.

1.) Over half of us aren't anal/vigilant (however you want to phrase it)
2.) Maybe I should be more concerned with testing nitrates/nitrites/NH4
3.) Watching the tank works to some extent, but when I tried that method, the sps shifts color, then I have to fix the out of whack parameter and suffer the shift in coral colors for 2+ weeks.
4.) The poll feature is cool and I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like to. :)
5.) Jango will run tank tests if you ask him!

LOL Lam you almost got me but I did all my testing today and I have sworn to start water changes again 25 gallons every Sunday ( wait tillyou see the SPS )
nitrate 5
PH 8.21 well at tleast at 11 am when I looked
SG 1.025
Ca 420( ran outta Co2 FriDAY FOR NOW DOSING kALC)
Alk 12
Mag 1050-1100(adjusting now)
and temp stable once again at 80

I have a question about all those "0" nitrate readings above: what's the minimum reading on the test kits you guys are using? I'm using the Salifert kit and I'm usually at 0.2 to 0.5 nitrates, never really reached 0...

Lam said:
2.) Maybe I should be more concerned with testing nitrates/nitrites/NH4

Lam: I don't think it's worth testing nitrites and ammonia on a cycled tank... unless you suspect something big died and can be causing a mini-cycle, they'll always read 0 anyway.

Nuno

Back