Carbon Dosing question

reefstarter

Non-member
So here it is , .... Can I switch from using vinegar to Vodka by just starting with the appropriate dose of Vodka VS vinegar ? IE 48 ML per day vinegar should translate to about 6 ML of Vodka daily . I want to switch to a more pure source of carbon and I am seeing some drop in PH of my system . Not drastic mind you , but enough to raise an eyebrow . especially since with all this sytem has gone through I never saw any change in PH , its always held at 8.2 regardless of alk or calcium levels . Anyone who has done this please chime in

Vodka can definitely lower ph. So not sure that problem would be solved by the switch. Make sure nitrates are not zeroed out. I carefully titrate dosing through brs doser so that i always maintain nitrate levels of 5 ppm. This also helps raise ph compared to overdosing vodka to maintain 0 ppm. I noticed that corals are much more prone to stn at 0 ppm nitrate in respons to alk swings or gfo changes.

Thanks , I am not at 0 nitrates and was aiming for 5-10 , I am at about 20 now which isn't terrible I suppose . Hoping for better color really . I also started putting in pottassium to help that hopefully . Mag is still kind of up and down . hard to nail down a dosing regiment for the mag as some days it uses more than others . not sure why

If you are using instant ocean or reef crystals, your potassiumbis probably okay. The test kit would be helpful. I get best color at 5 ppm nitrate and 0.04 ppm phosphate. I also feed oyster roti and mysis feast daily and liberally through sutomated refrigerated system to enhance color

Back