DIY surge ideas?

My surge devices fill from the sump, each is about 13 gallons so they take a significant ammount of water to fill. I also have an auto topoff, I simply set the float switch at a point in the sump that I never want to go below, basicly the point where the sump should be if both surge tanks are full and just about to dump. This way the water level in the sump can fluctuate up and down with the surge device with no effect on the autotopoff until the water level drops to low.

A surge doesn't have to be noisy at all, mine is basicly silent. All that is heard is a low quiet thump when the flapper valve opens, but no toilet flushing sounds, no loud bubbling sounds and very little bubbles.

Jon

I'm going to have to get over there and see yours. 13 gallons? :eek: I was under the impression that most of these were like 1 gallon.

I can't imagine that 1 gallon is going to do much in a 180 gallon tank. :)

Give me a couple of month and you are more then welcome to come by, I am in the middle of a major overhaul. :)

I see. If I have the surge bucket filled and the level in the sump is even with the top off float, then I am good as far as auto top off is working.

When the surge empties, the sump level will rise higher than the autotopoff float, which is OK.

I think the only concern is that the top off float is fluctuating with the surge action, so there is a small amount of time (the time to fill the bucket), in which auto top off water can come in from the fresh water reserver. When the surge comes in, the level will rise again, and we have to wait until the next bucket fill up for the auto topoff float to let fresh water into the sump.

That the way i see it, at least with my system.

It should work OK, needs testing :)

That is exactly correct, that is the way mine works and it's been running this way for over a year without issue. Water evaporates fairly slowly and my water returns via gravity through a 1/4" hose so it doesn't have any trouble keeping up.

Back