Fuzzy Dwarf Lion won't eat?

davidrupe

Non-member
I tried to starve him into eating and he still won't take shrimp wiggled on a strip in front of him. Other fish rip it off and he just watches. I would say he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks and I am getting nervous.
I think tomorrow I am going to break down and buy some FW rosie reds to put something in his stomach. Anybody got any other ideas?

Sorry to hear that, David.

Is his belly dented? When I just got him, I was told it ate freezed dried white shrimp (lier!! bad LFS). Then he started to eat those tiny things (no, I can't call them pods) and I could see his belly was full. How is his color? Is he active?

In terms of feeder shrimps, the lionfish is still a baby, may be try smaller ones?

I have been trying dead frozen shrimp pieces. I think I need to give in and feed live for a a short bit and then starve him again. He looks healthy. Does't move much. Just hides in the rocks.

David, I read up a bit on this fish, and both books I have say that these fish will only eat live food, but can be trained onto frozen food pretty easily. However, the cold turkey method will likely kill this little dude. According to my books you should feed live fish or shrimp, and slowly add in frozen stuff, while decreasing the proportion of live food each day. Gradually shift the balance from all live to all frozen over 2 weeks.

Good luck, hope it works.

nate

In the past when I owned lionfish, I use to feed them small black mollies or tuffies. I would always feed the tank frozen brine or blood worms(limited frozen stuff back in the day) at the same time. In the span of 2-3 weeks it would ween onto the big chuncks of frozen food. Usually worked...

Thank you all! I will try tonight!

I was missing the key point. PUT THE LIVE FOOD IN WITH THE DEAD SO HE DOESN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!

Back