I couldnt resist! Help!

s_kelley

BRS Member
Ive been wanting one for awhile now so I broke down and picked one up at CRA. I bought a very small black and white oscilaris. My problem is that my other clownfish wont leave it alone, what can I do? Any suggestions other than get rid of it?
I have it in a mesh basket in the tank to separate it from its hostile tankmates for now.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shane

Maybe put the others in a QT for a few weeks to give the little guy a chance to establish his own territory and move some rock around. That should disrupt the territory and let him settle in.

Tankmate(s?) do you have two other (paired?) clowns

Possibly rearrange the aquascape? the old clowns are just defending their territory, seeing the new clown as an outsider.

Changing the surroundings may disorient the old clowns, giving them something else to think about beside the intruder.

Or if they are paired, no matter what you do they will probably attack the 3rd wheel.

sorry i think geting rid of it is the only way. you could try puting the old clown from your tank in the sump for a week or two

I don't have anything else to add other than, thoes are good looking fish! I was eyeballing them the other day when I was there, good luck with the new guy Shane.

Wish I could QT the others but dont think I could catch most of them and only have a ten gallon for a QT. I dont have a pair of clowns just a single regular oscilaris. My other fish seem to leave it alone so far.

You need to do your homework before buying. It's the golden rule in this hobby....

If you had an ocellairs in the tank a while then added another - they will need to pair up, or most likely will battle endlessly. If the new one is undifferentiated, and the older one is established as a single (has turned female), they will likely pair. If both have turned female seperately your in trouble.

If they are to pair, they will interact, fight, or otherwise be quite attracted to each other, though it might not look friendly. They will need to establish dominanace. Once they do, the dominant fish will become female, and the other male.

IME if clowns are going to pair, it looks pretty concerning initially, but by the next am they are a happy couple.

Thanks jimmy I usually research and am very careful about what I add but I couldn't resist. It is an awesome looking fish. If things work out ill post pics.

You could always bring the little guy to my house. ;)
I have an anemone just waiting for it to host. :D

I agree that impulse buying in this hobby is usually not a good thing.
IME

Ok so its been about a week, the little guy still kinda keeps to himself but noones bothering it. My larger oscilaris, who I was really worried about, leaves it alone unless it gets near the hairy mushrooms that its hosting. Ill post pics soon.

Nice to have it work out, huh? I just bought a bunch of LR and a pair of GSM's. Just got them eating after a couple of days but they are still pretty shy. I hope they'll come out eventually.

Back