Need advice on new reef tank

So while I'm waiting for Kevin from All Things Aquatic to find a tank for me, I thought I'd help my wife and I get closer to figuring out where to put it. We have two candidate spots, one in our kitchen/family room where we spend 90% of our time, and one in our living room that we don't use as much. I have a structural engineer coming Monday to look at things, it might be that only one of these spots could support the tank. But I suspect both will be ok. On the one hand, in the kitchen we will see the tank much more, but on the other hand it might seem kinda in the way. And if we put it in the living room it might make that room more of a draw. So I made a big box framed out of PVC, to put in the kitchen spot to see what it would look like there. Here's the spot now (I'm talking about the area to the left of the TV, where the rhino painting is):
IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

These pictures show where the tank would be. We'd move the rhino painting and the chair. The paper represents the cabinet below and the canopy above.

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0376.jpeg

Here's the other candidate area. It would go where the piano is now. We would probably move the cabinets to the side of the piano. So we could have an even bigger tank there. And more is better.

IMG_0379.jpeg

And here's the area in the basement where the sump will go. It would go in front of that big white pipe. There's room for a 5 foot wide table/stand for the sump and accessories, so that should be good. I'm also planning on putting a big piece of plywood or pegboard behind the stand, to attach wiring and maybe some of the sump equipment. I'm also showing a closeup of the wall. It's kind of rotting from water infiltration. I'm wondering if that will be putting out dust that could get into the sump water and lead to very bad things. Maybe I need to seal it somehow.

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

View attachment 172186

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0375 2.jpeg
    IMG_0375 2.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 100
I've set up many tanks over the years. The most successful tanks have been completely in the way. A tank that's in the way is a tank where you will see problems sooner when they happen. A sad truth is that when a tank is less in the way, it's easy to unintentionally avoid it when it's making you very frustrated, which is NEVER good. An algae outbreak in your living space gets solved, an algae outbreak in a less used room gets avoided, and gets worse, until you can't stand to look at it.

That being said, if you opt for something close to your kitchen, make sure you have good ventilation above your range, and run the fan when you're cooking. The spritz coming off of a wok of stir fry or a pan of bacon will be aerosolized and can find its way I to the tank.

That's a good point and one I did consider. I could definitely see myself not looking at the tank for a week if it was in the living room. Right now, I feel like I will spend hours a day looking at it and fiddling with it. But in a couple years? Maybe something else will draw my attention. I think I'm ok with regard to the stove. We do cook A LOT, but the tank will have a canopy over it, and the stove is probably at least 12 feet from the tank.

But putting it in the kitchen/family room area will make that space into "the tank room". Maybe not a bad thing to me, but my wife still needs some convincing.

A tank in the Rhino painting spot will look awesome in combination with your view out that window. Reminds me of Joe Rice's tank/view which is also awesome. Like usual, really agree with Chris too on you want it to be visible casually. My tanks are in my office where I spend ~14+ hours a day. Problems get solved real fast as not only can I see them, but I have become attuned to hearing them quite quickly and with a weird amount of detail I cannot describe.

Tough call the spot by the tv and fireplace looks great but that wall will be a little busy. Nice spot for a tank though. Remember depth front to back. The same way all boaters wish there boat was one size up most reefers wish there tank had more……. Depth of field I think is the term. As far as the sump room I wonder if having the sump bench kind like a peninsula so you could work on both sides and it would be easier to cover if work was being done in the basement. Just a thought.

A tank in the Rhino painting spot will look awesome in combination with your view out that window. Reminds me of Joe Rice's tank/view which is also awesome. Like usual, really agree with Chris too on you want it to be visible casually. My tanks are in my office where I spend ~14+ hours a day. Problems get solved real fast as not only can I see them, but I have become attuned to hearing them quite quickly and with a weird amount of detail I cannot describe.
You make a good point. Thanks.

Tough call the spot by the tv and fireplace looks great but that wall will be a little busy. Nice spot for a tank though. Remember depth front to back. The same way all boaters wish there boat was one size up most reefers wish there tank had more……. Depth of field I think is the term. As far as the sump room I wonder if having the sump bench kind like a peninsula so you could work on both sides and it would be easier to cover if work was being done in the basement. Just a thought.
Well I’m thinking 60x30x30. That’s the size of the PVC ersatz tank in the pictures. That’s good depth, no?

Interesting idea about the peninsula sump bench. I hadn’t thought of that. I thought it would be good to have it against the wall so you could hang stuff there, but it would also be nice for it to be accessible from both sides.

Well I’m thinking 60x30x30. That’s the size of the PVC ersatz tank in the pictures. That’s good depth, no?

Interesting idea about the peninsula sump bench. I hadn’t thought of that. I thought it would be good to have it against the wall so you could hang stuff there, but it would also be nice for it to be accessible from both sides.
60*30*30 will be nice.

If you can get away with it, install a dedicated utility sink by the sump. Do it somewhere that works for a RODI mixing station nearby.

nice ideas. just keep in mind reaching the bottom of a 30” deep tank is difficult. mine is 24” deep I’m 6’2” and I wet my short sleeves all the time to reach the sand bed. 30” tall wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though just something to think about.:cool:

Looks a little too much next to the fireplace and seems to encroach on the doorway. I think I'd be more inclined to choose the piano spot and see how the room evolves for viewing. I had 90 gallon freshwater tank close to a TV and its sound system in the past. I don't think the noise and bass from a surround system or the flashing lights from the TV is a good thing for a tank or its inhabitants. Be cautious with regard to airborne cooking contamination, the canopy will do nothing for you and I'm not sure you understand the mechanics of aerosol contamination. Some cleaning and sterilization products for kitchens are not welcome within 12 feet of my tank or in the same room if it can be avoided. I hope whatever you decide you don't come to regret it as moving a tank is zero fun. Best of luck in your adventure!

Personally I would never put my tank anywhere ne’er the television. If I’m watching TV I don’t want to be distracted by fishes or have my mind thinking about the next maintenance activity. TV time is about being engrossed in the program.
I also disagree that a tank out of the way will go unattended, but then again, I’m a bit obsessive about mine, you can’t keep me away from it. It had the opposite effect, where now i spend a lot more time in the living room.

Three other issues to consider: 1) access to the tank, 2) the tank being in the way (I agree with people above about it being too close to the doorway) , 3) sunlight: you want it in the darkest part of the room with the least amount of sunlight. You don’t want to be battling algae from a light source you can’t control.

Lastly do not seal your basement wall. It needs to breathe. The effluence is from water slowly creeping in from pressure on the outside of the foundation. That’s a different issue that you should talk to a contractor about. If you do anything, you could put up some drywall on some free-standing 2x4s (like a mini wall) or loosely cover it with a sheet or tarp.

nice ideas. just keep in mind reaching the bottom of a 30” deep tank is difficult. mine is 24” deep I’m 6’2” and I wet my short sleeves all the time to reach the sand bed. 30” tall wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me though just something to think about.:cool:

I was wondering about that. How far off the ground is the bottom of your tank? Being new to the hobby, I’m not sure how often I’ll need to reach the sand bed. I’m a little taller than you, but I think I’d still need a stool if the tank is 30 inches deep and 30+ inches off the ground.

Thanks for the feedback about the tank location! I wasn’t really expecting any. This forum is the best. Regarding the tank being in the way, keep in mind that it’s replacing the white chair that’s currently under the rhino painting. The char sticks out into the room more than the tank will. The tank will Take up more space between it and the fireplace, but that’s dead space. I hadn’t considered the TV bothering the fish. At that angle, I don’t think the light from the tv would bother the fish, but maybe the sound would. Is that really a thing? What if I only watch programs fish like?
As far as sunlight, it is what it is. Both tank locations are near north facing windows. Maybe put window tint on that side of the tank? I will likely get a mondo UV sterilizer to help with algae control…

I would never put a reef tank(and any other big tank) on the same wall as the TV for both aesthetic and practicality.
I mean just look at it.
IMG_0376.jpeg

Move the piano away and put the tank there. And make sure the piano is far away from the tank.

And here's the area in the basement where the sump will go. It would go in front of that big white pipe. There's room for a 5 foot wide table/stand for the sump and accessories, so that should be good. I'm also planning on putting a big piece of plywood or pegboard behind the stand, to attach wiring and maybe some of the sump equipment. I'm also showing a closeup of the wall. It's kind of rotting from water infiltration. I'm wondering if that will be putting out dust that could get into the sump water and lead to very bad things. Maybe I need to seal it somehow.
I think the basement is a good spot, for the sump but I would add a vent or outside line for the skimmer to draw fresh air, if not you might have some ph problems down the road.

Thanks for the feedback about the tank location! I wasn’t really expecting any. This forum is the best. Regarding the tank being in the way, keep in mind that it’s replacing the white chair that’s currently under the rhino painting. The char sticks out into the room more than the tank will. The tank will Take up more space between it and the fireplace, but that’s dead space. I hadn’t considered the TV bothering the fish. At that angle, I don’t think the light from the tv would bother the fish, but maybe the sound would. Is that really a thing? What if I only watch programs fish like?
As far as sunlight, it is what it is. Both tank locations are near north facing windows. Maybe put window tint on that side of the tank? I will likely get a mondo UV sterilizer to help with algae control…
North facing windows is better than south-facing. I wouldn't worry too much then.

Gotta say, i like the forethought that's going into your tank. Too many people (myself included) just blast forward with hardly a plan

What does the wife thinks about it? Call me sexist or whatever but men usually have the most obnoxious way to place things in the house. Always consult the wife.
Ah, yes, the WAF. Do you guys use that term here? (Wife Acceptance Factor.)

Shockingly (perhaps a bit begrudgingly) she has given her approval.

In defense of the spot next to the TV, I should point out that I am the one who uses that TV 90% of the time. And it's just for things like sports and Netflix. We have another TV in the living room (opposite wall from the proposed tank spot), and that's the one that my wife uses. And we have a home theater for watching movies. I watched some TV last night, and the tank location didn't seem to bother me.

But wait, there's more! My wife just suggested an alternate spot. This is on the wall opposite the TV, where our kitchen table is. It would make things a little more cramped around the kitchen table, but other than that, it's a great spot. It's on an outside wall, which should help structurally. Among the downsides it that it might be tough to plumb the tank through the wall, which would mean we'd have to cut holes in the fancy wood floor. And it's another 20+ feet further from the sump than the TV tank placement would be.

Here are some before and after pictures. The painting would obviously have to be moved.

IMG_0385.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the WAF. Do you guys use that term here? (Wife Acceptance Factor.)

Shockingly (perhaps a bit begrudgingly) she has given her approval.

In defense of the spot next to the TV, I should point out that I am the one who uses that TV 90% of the time. And it's just for things like sports and Netflix. We have another TV in the living room (opposite wall from the proposed tank spot), and that's the one that my wife uses. And we have a home theater for watching movies. I watched some TV last night, and the tank location didn't seem to bother me.

But wait, there's more! My wife just suggested an alternate spot. This is on the wall opposite the TV, where our kitchen table is. It would make things a little more cramped around the kitchen table, but other than that, it's a great spot. It's on an outside wall, which should help structurally. Among the downsides it that it might be tough to plumb the tank through the wall, which would mean we'd have to cut holes in the fancy wood floor. And it's another 20+ feet from the sump than the TV tank placement would be.

Here are some before and after pictures. The painting would obviously have to be moved.

View attachment 172203
View attachment 172204
View attachment 172205View attachment 172206
I like the look of this. Maybe you could scoot the table a little closer to the fireplace/tv.

Back