new to boston reefers.. hello

kcorevil

Non-member
Hi, I am starting a nano system, any suggestions on a tank and or system from members with experience.... pros and cons!!! Thanks

Welcome to the club. If you don't have prior experience with reefs you may have a hard time keeping a nano. Nano tanks respond much faster to problems so they usually aren't recommended for beginners. If you are brand new to the hobby I would recommend going with at least a 55 gallon system. If you can't go with a larger tank, then just keep on top of your testing and water changes.

Welcome :)

My first (and current) reef tank is a JBJ nano 12. My most helpful suggestion for you is frequent water changes. I change about 10% EVERY weekend. The only major issue I had with my tank was when I went out of the country for 3 weeks and had no one to do water changes for me. With a tank that small when 1 thing dies it pollutes everything very quickly.

Good luck. If you have any easy questions feel free to ask. Any hard questions please ask someone with more experience:D

Hello and Welcome.
As Steve said,nanos can be a challenge.I had a 20 long set up for a few months when I first got started.I basically got sick of dealing with constant water temp. changes and top offs.The volume can make water parameters unstable.I moved into a 55 gal. that I have currently.
I find it much easier to deal with.
My hat's off to the little tank people.I wouldn't do it again unless it was hooked to a 100 gallon sump.lol
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hello. I started with a nano about a year ago. You will hear it alot, but take it slow and make good decisions, not impulse buys.

Welcome!

What size nano are you thinking of doing?

Its been said already, but larger tanks are more chemically stable.

Nano tanks from Drs Foster Smith, etc are usually expensive out of the box. Depending on how handy you are, you can build a nano from a cheap tank, using a false wall to create a refugium, hide the heater, return pumps, etc.

i have a 12g nanocube. after 3 months i added a custom Metal halide light setup. I should have originally bought the 24g aquapod with the MH light. that one will be cheaper in the long run, because it comes with the lights and is twice the volume so you wont outgrow it as fast.
so i would recommend the 24g AP MH

brsanime.gif

no nanos here either... the smallest tank I ever had (and still do) is a 3 year old 30 gallon (+ 1ish gallon sump) it is very stable, but I only have fish and anemones in that one...

good luck with what you decide to do... and I agree that bigger is easier

only problem with a nano is you want a bigger one, I had a 24g now i have a 58g reef looking to go bigger would like to go with a 120g but dont think my floor would hold it so sounds like a 72 or 90

Back