Paul's new build.

I'm setting up this tank with dry rock which I have never done before. I have always had live rock or left over live rock from previous tanks. I have plenty of old live rock in the sump, so I wont have any cycle, but only new dry rock will be in the display. I was thinking of trying an experiment to avoid the ugly phase. If I used flucanozole right from the start, there would be almost no algae growth at all for a month or two. That would give coraline and bacteria a head start on the rock before algae could get a foothold. I haven't heard of anyone trying this before. I see the use of UV, which didn't seem to work well but not flucanozole. Any thoughts?

Paul. I was in the same boat. I had ALL my rock from EVERY system i ever set up since 1999 / 2000. I bleached the sh!it out of it. Sun baked and soaked in sea water with phosphate remover. I cycled with fritzyme 9 and ammonia. Honestly after the initial dino outbreak, which could have been worse, I seem to be sitting pretty (fingers crossed).

Awesome Paul, someone tagged me in the Facebook post about it, thought it may have been me. I could only dream.

In process. Much harder than with the acrylic tanks I've had in the past.
20220112_100712.jpg

Looks amazing Paul! Looking forward to seeing this system kick off!

I'm setting up this tank with dry rock which I have never done before. I have always had live rock or left over live rock from previous tanks. I have plenty of old live rock in the sump, so I wont have any cycle, but only new dry rock will be in the display. I was thinking of trying an experiment to avoid the ugly phase. If I used flucanozole right from the start, there would be almost no algae growth at all for a month or two. That would give coraline and bacteria a head start on the rock before algae could get a foothold. I haven't heard of anyone trying this before. I see the use of UV, which didn't seem to work well but not flucanozole. Any thoughts?
When I set up my tank here in California I did all new dry rock. I was in the same boat as I had no rock at all from my old systems because of the moving across the country.

I started to get a ton of algae before I even had anything in the tank so I took all the rock out gave it a pretty good muriatic acid bath and put it all back in. With that and carbon dosing I have no algae problems

Back