Setting up a new tank need suggestions!

Ryan17

Non-member
Hey guys, I am starting a new tank for fun and I am indecisive about the lighting. I want to keep mostly LPS with some SPS in the tank, That considering, I am looking for either T5's or LED's so if any one has any suggestion as in what fixture I should buy it would be appreciated. Also I am planning on running a protein skimmer which I am also indecisive about thanks

t5. but i just dont trust leds. im always seeing people saying there corals change colors, like acans they either turn all orange or they start to bleach

alright I was leaning to t5's because I have them over my 90 can you give me a specific brand or fixture, I know I need individual reflectors, but sometimes I cant tell if they have them or not. also how many bulbs, wattage etc.

go to reefgeek.com they have really good lights and all different bulbs you can play around with

Make sure you check the for sale threads on here first and save a few bucks
Out of your options I would go T5 too, LED's just aren't there yet for me, almost but not.
I am still a halide guy though

wait so should I get that fixture and get ati bulbs right away, I don't really get that website, sorry i feel stupid

Make sure you check the for sale threads on here first and save a few bucks
Out of your options I would go T5 too, LED's just aren't there yet for me, almost but not.
I am still a halide guy though

+1 on the halides

wait so should I get that fixture and get ati bulbs right away, I don't really get that website, sorry i feel stupid

what happens is you can just buy the fixture or you can buy the fixure and the bulbs it all up to your wallet

I have an AquaticLife T5 4bulb over my 65 and love them. They are fully programmable and have night blue LEDs.

oh I always buy the ati bulbs for my 90, so I would obvs do this with the 20l too, but now the question is should I do t5's or a halide and if I do a halide it would be my first experience with one and Im nervous so I need a lot of help from you guys I heard on small tanks it can cause algae issues

oh I always buy the ati bulbs for my 90, so I would obvs do this with the 20l too, but now the question is should I do t5's or a halide and if I do a halide it would be my first experience with one and Im nervous so I need a lot of help from you guys I heard on small tanks it can cause algae issues

dont go halide. you will burn your coral. stick to t5's.

You can use 150 w halide o a 20L but you wont get edge to edge coverage.

Im not too familiar with T5's but is two bulbs enough coverage for a 20L? Someone else will have to chime in on this one.
I have seen some awesome growth and colors under T5's on the boards though

I got a 2 bulb T5 on my Innovative Marine Nuvo 16. It's plenty bright. Dong (dz6t) gave me a Coralife 2 bulb fixture. I put ATI Coral+ and Blue+ bulbs in it. It's plenty bright and a nice 16k look. Pretty close to the same size as a 20 long, 24x12x12".

Back