Tank Swap Question

jroczniak

Fish Filet!
Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to replace my 8 gallon biocube with a new 14 gallon one and had a couple things to ask.

Is there a really good tank swap procedure for water/sand or should I just cycle it up fresh and only swap the fish and coral stuff?

Next, I only have one really big live rock boulder in the middle of this tank and was not going to move it for 2 reasons - 1st I want a different aquascape and 2nd it has a bit of green hair algae I do not want to bring over to the new tank.

Are there any pointers anyone can give me or anything I should know?

Thanks in advance!

-Jake

Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to replace my 8 gallon biocube with a new 14 gallon one and had a couple things to ask.

Is there a really good tank swap procedure for water/sand or should I just cycle it up fresh and only swap the fish and coral stuff?

Next, I only have one really big live rock boulder in the middle of this tank and was not going to move it for 2 reasons - 1st I want a different aquascape and 2nd it has a bit of green hair algae I do not want to bring over to the new tank.

Are there any pointers anyone can give me or anything I should know?

Thanks in advance!

-Jake

I did a thread on switching tanks a while back maybe you'll be able to find it and it lists pointers but here are some basics.

(1) have a plan and have more water on hand than you think
(2) make sure water is up to temp
(3) place all love stock in buckets or tubs with heaters and power heads.
(4) is a must... Replace all the sand.
(5) live rock and stay out of the water for about an hour. If longer cover in wet paper towels. You want to make sure you're Aquascape is perfect since your changing tanks. Aesthetics is a must
(6) have a friend help
(7) don't stress all the live stock will look upset and things might take a few days to clear up but once it's all in place if all the equitment is running and params are good don't mess with anything as this will stress the livestock out even more.
(8) I don't like gluing everything to the rocks until tank is clear and ready
(9) initially replace a third of the water. even if you're upgrading. Huge swings in params is no good. Additionally you don't want to get any of the gross water from kicking everythig up into your new tank. I siphon off the water before I start anything and save it for the new tank. The rest gets dumped. I do this before o catch livestock, remove rock, etc. Dump all the water you keep corals in because if contains slime that may irritate other corals.

I've used this method several times with moves and upgrades it helps big time.

If you're not moving any LR over, and you have space to run both for a bit, just cycle the new one and then transfer over livestock. You can add some of your established sand to help jump-start your cycle, plus whatever new rock you'll be using.

As above, have some extra water ready.

Yeah I dont think I am going to move the large piece of LR over but get new rock at the store or from a memeber. Its only 14gal. so cannot fit too much!

I will have them run side by side for a bit.

Thanks!

This is how it starts... 8 then 14, just buy the 180g now and skip all those other steps. Lol

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Actually my basement is being redone next summer with a spot for a 300+ and a lot of space for equipment...:eek:

But my office is up on our top floor in the finished attic area and I like to have a small tank by me because I work from home a lot!

HAHA - no its kind of setup as a 2nd family room - cozier than the one on the first floor. But my beer cellar/room is down there!

Back